Alumni Mentoring Program
Rhode Island College is pleased to introduce the Career Empowerment Opportunity (CEO) program, an alumni-driven mentorship program that prepares Rhode Island College students for career success. CEO connects students with RIC alumni who are leaders in their fields and offers personal and professional development opportunities that prepare students to be career ready on “day one.”
Through one-on-one mentor meetings, facilitated sessions, networking lunches, RIC alumni share their experience, networks, and job opportunities with students in order to help students plan their career path.
The benefits are priceless. Students gain access to a regional and national network of industry leaders and a mentor within their job field, while developing increased job and social skills that are essential for professional growth.
The program, which will be offered on an annual basis, launches in February 2020 and runs through May 2021.
We are currently seeking applicants for our pilot program.The program is open to current juniors (between 60 and 89 completed credits) and/or those students who anticipate graduating in May 2021. A minimum 2.5 GPA is required at time of application and should be maintained throughout the program.
The CEO program has four key components:
- RIC alumni mentors are paired with students in their field of interest. These relationships are expected to include one-on-one monthly meetings in person and/or by Skype/phone.
- Monthly workshop sessions held on Fridays from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. on the RIC campus. Lunch will be included, and there will be guest speakers presenting on topics like goal-setting, conflict resolution, digital literacy, personal branding, and more.
- Six site-based networking lunches on Friday afternoons, called “Lunch N’ Learns” hosted by high-level RIC alumni mentors at their places of work all across RI where students will learn about careers and get an inside look at these organizations.
- Optional Internship offered in the Summer of 2020.
View or download the CEO
February 7: Kick-off event; pairing of mentors with students
CEO Session Dates: February 14, March 20, April 17, May 8
Lunch N’ Learn Events: March 6, April 3
Optional Internship: May – August
Welcome Back Event: September 11
CEO Session Dates: September 11, October 9, November 6, December 4
Lunch N’ Learn: September 25, November 20
CEO Session Dates: February 12, March 19, April 16
Lunch N’ Learn: February 26, April 30
Final Celebration: May 7
The program sessions will cover the following topics:
- Enhancing communication and assertiveness skills
- Delivering confidence and persuasive presentations
- Strategic thinking and creative problem solving
- Developing emotional intelligence in and out of the workplace
- Managing conflict and confrontation
- Leadership vs. management
- Goal setting and time management
- Professional etiquette
- Dinning etiquette
- Enhancing interview skills
- Writing an effective resume
- Financial literacy/budgeting
- Personal branding
- Business casual vs. business professional
- How to network
- Superior customer service
- Public speaking
- Social media and professionalism
Dress Men- Collared Shirt with or without Tie, Sweater, Polo, Slacks, and Casual shoes
Dress Women- Skirt, Full Length pants, Blouse, Casual shoes/ heels
Program materials are provided for every session. Materials include:
- Business Cards
Mentee Application Form
Deadline To Apply is Friday, December 13.
Everyone Who Applies Will Get a SWAG BAG full of RIC merchandise!
The Career Empowerment Opportunity (CEO) program focuses on preparing RIC students for post-college careers through personal and professional development. It provides alumni mentoring and coaching, career skills training and program sessions, and networking opportunities within students’ fields of interest. The CEO program begins February 2020 and runs through May 2021. It is open to current Juniors (between 60 and 89 completed credits) and/or who anticipate graduating in May 2021. A minimum 2.5 GPA is required at time of application and should be maintained throughout the program. We encourage anyone interested to apply! Our goal is to have the most diverse group of students possible.
Please fill out the online form below. For more information about the program, contact Gus Cantwell, Alumni Engagement Coordinator via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 401-456-4631. All applications will be reviewed by the CEO committee and accepted students will be notified in January 2020.