Alumni Mentoring Program
Rhode Island College is pleased to introduce the Career Empowerment Opportunity (CEO) program, an alumni-driven mentorship program that prepares Rhode Island College students for career success. CEO connects students with RIC alumni who are leaders in their fields and offers personal and professional development opportunities that prepare students to be career ready on “day one.”
Through one-on-one mentor meetings, facilitated sessions, networking lunches, RIC alumni share their experience, networks, and job opportunities with students in order to help students plan their career path.
The benefits are priceless. Students gain access to a regional and national network of industry leaders and a mentor within their job field, while developing increased job and social skills that are essential for professional growth.
The program, which will be offered on an annual basis, launches in February 2020 and runs through May 2021.
We are currently seeking applicants for our pilot program.The program is open to current juniors (between 60 and 89 completed credits) and/or those students who anticipate graduating in May 2021. A minimum 2.5 GPA is required at time of application and should be maintained throughout the program.
The CEO program has four key components:
- RIC alumni mentors are paired with students in their field of interest. These relationships are expected to include one-on-one monthly meetings in person and/or by Skype/phone.
- Monthly workshop sessions held on Fridays from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. on the RIC campus. Lunch will be included, and there will be guest speakers presenting on topics like goal-setting, conflict resolution, digital literacy, personal branding, and more.
- Six site-based networking lunches on Friday afternoons, called “Lunch N’ Learns” hosted by high-level RIC alumni mentors at their places of work all across RI where students will learn about careers and get an inside look at these organizations.
- Optional Internship offered in the Summer of 2020.
View or download the CEO
February 14: Kick-off event; pairing of mentors with students
CEO Session Dates: March 6, April 10, May 1
Lunch N’ Learn Events: March 27, May 8
Optional Internship: May – August
Welcome Back Event: September 11
CEO Session Dates: September 11, October 9, November 6, December 4
Lunch N’ Learn: September 25, November 20
CEO Session Dates: February 12, March 19, April 16
Lunch N’ Learn: February 26, April 30
Final Celebration: May 7
The program sessions will cover the following topics:
- The CliftonStrengths Assessment: How You Are Uniquely Powerful
- Developing Your Emotional Intelligence
- Communication Skills
- Professional Etiquette
- Time Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Creative Problem-Solving
- Personal Branding
- Social Media and Professionalism
- Servant Leadership
- Community Advocacy
- Financial Literacy
- Public Speaking on the Job
- Interview Skills
Dress Men- Collared Shirt with or without Tie, Sweater, Polo, Slacks, and Casual shoes
Dress Women- Skirt, Full Length pants, Blouse, Casual shoes/ heels
Program materials are provided for every session. Materials include:
- Business Cards
We are excited that you are interested in becoming a Career Empowerment Opportunity mentor! Please fill out the following form so that we understand what you can provide to a mentee while ensuring that we make the best matches possible. Please make sure to use the ‘Browse Files’ button on the application to attach a resume or short biography as well. For more information about the program or to get any questions answered, contact Gus Cantwell, Alumni Engagement Coordinator, via e-mail at email@example.com or via phone at (401) 456-4631.