B.F.A. in Art Education
Students apply to the art education program while enrolled in or after completing
ARTE 303: Introduction to Art Education by completing the Feinstein School of Education and Human Development (FSEHD) online application (see link below) and following the FSEHD admission application instructions. The Department of Art forwards recommendations to FSEHD through this online application. Applicants are then formally accepted into both the FSEHD and to the teacher preparation program in art education.
For acceptance into the teacher preparation program in art education,
students must fulfill the following requirements by the end of the semester in
which they apply for admission:
All FSEHD admission requirements. Please refer to the
FSEHD section of this catalog and see
Art education program-specific admission requirements, as follows:
- Completion of a plan of study approved by assigned advisor.
- Completion of a Declaration of Major Form, indicating studio concentration.
- Completion of all studio foundations courses, with a minimum grade of B- in each course.
- Completion of
ARTE 303: Introduction to Art Education, with a minimum grade of B-.
- Three letters of recommendation from art faculty: one from the student’s 2-D or 3-D synthesis instructor, one from the student’s
ARTE 303 instructor, and one from another art studio or art history faculty member.
- Completion of the Studio I course in the concentration, with a minimum grade of B.
- Submission of a B.F.A. application.
- A positive portfolio review. The portfolio must include work from studio foundations courses and the introductory studio art course in the concentration. Portfolios are reviewed once per semester. Review dates are posted in ALEX AND ANI Hall.
- Submission of Art Content Portfolio.
Note: For information on transferring credit for art studio courses taken at another institution or credit for advanced placement courses, see Transfer Portfolio Guidelines at www.ric.edu/art/transfer.php or obtain guidelines in the main office of ALEX AND ANI Hall.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 each semester.
- A minimum grade of B in all studio concentration courses, and a minimum grade of B- in all other required studio and art history courses and in all teacher education courses.
- Completion of
ARTE 404 and
ARTE 405, with a minimum grade of B in each course.
- In order to student teach, students must successfully complete the FSEHD and the art education program requirements for a Preparing to Teach Portfolio; students must then complete all Student Teaching requirements. See
The Art Education Advisory Committee will review records of students who do not maintain this criteria. Such students may be dismissed from the program.
Click here for course details.