ATTENTION RIC STUDENTS: Hours have been extended in OASIS and the Bursar and Records offices. Click for details.
M.A.T. in Art Education
The mission of the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program in Art Education is to prepare individuals with a strong undergraduate background in art to become certified elementary and secondary art teachers. Successful completion of this program enables graduates to qualify for PK-12 art teacher certification from the Rhode Island Department of Education. The program emphasizes a commitment to the complementary relationships between artistic expression; academic knowledge, understanding, and inquiry; and art teaching. Ultimately, the broad mission of both this M.A.T. program and the M.A. in Art Education program is to further strengthen the knowledge, skills, and dispositions of individuals as art educators and to thereby further strengthen art education practices throughout Rhode Island and beyond our state's borders.
Learning Outcome Statements
Students pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching in Art Education at Rhode Island College will:
- further strengthen their art knowledge and artmaking skills, building on their foundational art understandings and skills acquired in their undergraduate programs;
- expand and deepen their understanding of art education theory and curriculum development;
- enhance their abilities to research content for art instruction and issues related to art education; develop art curricula; and engage in scholarship related to art education;
- develop competency in their art teaching skills, emphasizing the recursive educational practices of planning, acting, and reflecting on instruction; and
- further increase their capacities to serve as art education advocates and leaders in the field of art education.
Because of the wide variety of MAT programs offered through the Feinstein School of Education and Human Development, applicants need to request the application portfolio in person. Please contact Mrs. Dottie Grady at 401-456-8822 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment. Mrs. Grady will review the application process with you and direct you to the appropriate faculty member for more information.
Note: The M.A.T. program in art education is designed for applicants seeking K-through-twelve teacher certification.
Art Center 129