Committee on the Assessment of Student Outcomes (CASO)Current Members
- Mikaila Arthur, Assistant Professor, Sociology
- Patricia Brennan, Associate Professor, Adams Library
- Becky Caouette, Assistant Professor, English
- Shani D. Carter (chair of CASO), Professor of Management, Special Assistant to the Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Nancy Cloud, Professor, Henry Barnard School
- Hedi BenAicha, Director, Adams Library.
- Christopher Hourigan, Director - Institutional Research and Planning
- Scott Kane, Dean of Students
- Ronald Pitt, Vice President Academic Affairs
- Patricia A. Thomas, Professor, Nursing
- Joseph Zornado, Professor of English, Director Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning
For many years, assessment of student learning has been taking place at Rhode Island College. Programs that are accredited by national accrediting bodies have been meeting outcome standards required by organizations such as the Council on Social Work Education, National Association of Schools of Art and Design, National Association of Schools of Music, National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and the Credentialing Commission on Nursing Education. They are required to demonstrate how they meet externally derived standards which include, but are not limited to learning outcomes.
As part of a growing, national interest, the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) includes a greater emphasis on assessment of student learning and program effectiveness. In 1998, an Ad Hoc Assessment Team (AHAT) was convened on our campus to identify and promote an awareness of assessment processes already in place at Rhode Island College. This ad hoc committee was granted more permanent status with the convening and naming of a new structure, the Committee on Assessment of Student Outcomes (CASO).Goals and Functions of CASO
The mission of CASO is to identify and evaluate the measures that will be used to assess achievement of College-wide goals, which are derived from the College Mission and the College Strategic Plan.
CASO oversees outcomes assessment of Curricular and Co-curricular outcomes. The primary means of assessment of Curricular outcomes are via General Education assessment and via Program assessment. Co-curricular outcomes are assessed via the Office of Student Life and via many other campus offices.