If you have an immediate concern regarding the safety of yourself, a student or other members of the RIC Community, please call 911 and then contact the Campus Police @ (401) 456-8201. (Available 24/7)
Behavioral Engagement Team
Purpose: To support student success and retention through outreach to students of concern attending Rhode Island College.
- Dr. Chantelle Pseekos, Director of the Counseling Center/Psychologist (Co-Chair)
- Peggy Lynch-Gadaleta, J.D., Director of Institutional Equity/Title IX Coordinator (Co-Chair)
- Shawna Altenburger, Director of Residential Life and Housing
- Tamecka Hardmon, Director of the Records
- Joise Garzon, Interim Director of Learning for Life
- Jayasheree Nimmagadda, Professor, MSW Program
- Keri Rossi-D’entremont, Director of Disability Services
- Dr. Holly Shadoian, Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Lynn Wachtel, Director of Health Services
- Marissa Weiss, Interim Associate Dean, Student Life Office
How Can I Make a Referral?
The Behavioral Engagement Team has a specialty portal available through the Rhode Island College website to assist you in making referrals to the team. When making a referral, please have the following information available: (1) Your Name, Department, Contact Number (2) Student Name, Contact Number (3) Specific Nature of Your Concern.
When is it Appropriate to Refer a Student to the Behavioral Engagement Team: (1) When you would like a specific Department (e.g., Residential Life, Counseling) to check-in with a student. (2) When a student is repeatedly missing academic courses and you have non-imminent concerns about the student’s well-being. (3) When you are concerned that a student does not have access to resources (e.g., Housing, Food, Funding to Purchase Books) to be successful at Rhode Island College. (4) When a student experiences a death and is seeking additional support.
What Can I Expect After Making a Referral?
You will receive confirmation that your referral was received and the co-chairs will review the referral within 48 hours to generate a response plan. The Behavioral Engagement Team meets on a bi-weekly basis throughout the Academic Year. The team members will review the response plan and outreach to the student to offer support. You will be notified by email once the referral is resolved.
When you have an immediate concern regarding the safety of yourself, a student, or other members of the Rhode Island College Community, please contact Campus Police (available during/after business hours): 401-456-8201.
When you would like a direct phone consultation with a Counseling Center provider regarding a student concern, please contact the Counseling Center (M-F 8:30am-4:30pm) at 401-456-8094.
Please contact one of our committee co-chairs:
Director of Institutional Equity/Title IX Coordinator, Peggy Lynch-Gadaleta, J.D.: 401-456-8387
Director of the Counseling Center/Psychologist: Dr. Chantelle Pseekos 401-456-8094