Certificate of Graduate Study (C.G.S) in Project Management
Special Instructions for Westerly Education Center Students
The Rhode Island College Certificate of Graduate Study (C.G.S) in Project Management is designed to provide knowledge and skills that can be applied at the strategic and operational levels of both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations. The program focuses on managing those processes that produce and distribute goods and services and in effectively leading and shaping the workplace in which those processes are carried out. Practitioners who seek applied, functional knowledge and skills will benefit from this Certificate of Graduate Study (C.G.S) in Project Management.
Professor, Management and Marketing
- Completed application form accompanied by a $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate records.
- An applicant’s letter describing the applicant’s professional goals including how the program will help the applicant achieve these professional goals.
- Three letters of recommendation that address professional or practical/applied experience in the field of Operations Management as a whole including Project Management, Supply Chain Management or related. At least one of the letters of recommendation must be from a professional employed within the field of Operations Management or a Management instructor in higher education.
- An interview may be required,
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- A minimum grade of B in all courses comprising the CGS. Students who receive a grade below a B in any of these courses must meet with the program director. If it is recommended that the student continue, the student must retake the course.
- Failure to meet any one of the above requirements is sufficient cause for dismissal from the program.
C.G.S. in Project Management Learning Objectives
Effective project management is equated with completing projects on time, within budget and in a way that help achieve organizational goals. The purpose of the Project Management certificate program is to help students acquire skills necessary for successful, cost-effective project and program outcomes. Individuals possessing Project Management certification credentials enhance odds when seeking jobs – in a recent survey of project manager jobs on CIO.com and dice.com, eight out of thirteen job postings indicated that possessing formal project manager credentials of some form (certificates included) was a required qualification. This certificate would be especially helpful to individuals who whose career goals include Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management certification since the courses included in this CGE are based on the PMI body of knowledge used in the PMI assessment tools used to award PMI certification.
C.G.S. in Project Management Plan of Study/Course Requirements
MGT 537 High Performance Project Management (4 cr.)
MGT 542 Project Risk and Cost Management (4 cr.)
MGT 543 Project Communications Management (4 cr.)
MGT 544 Program Management (4 cr.)
Total: 16 Credits
For additional information please contact:
Westerly Education Center/RIC - Certificate of Graduate Study (C.G.S) in Project Management
Thank you for your interest in the Westerly Education Center/RIC Certificate of Graduate Study in Project Management starting Summer 2019.
- Students may be eligible to complete this program tuition-free through funding provided by the Real Jobs Rhode Island program if they are Rhode Island residents working in Rhode Island, incumbent or unemployed/underemployed individuals*.
- You will need to apply to the program through the Rhode Island College Master of Science in Operations Management application portal, and we suggest you do this as soon as possible since the program start date is May 13th!
- When applying, you will need a Personal Statement, Resume, the email addresses of 3 professional or academic references (preferably from the field of Operations Management). You will also need to provide us with a copy of all official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate work completed (you do not need these at the time you apply, but we suggest you request them as soon as possible as they do take time to reach us). Transcripts can be sent electronically to
firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Rhode Island College, School of Business
Alger Hall 203B, attn.: Zach Perkins
600 Mt Pleasant Ave, Providence RI 02908
How to apply:
Please follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Go to
- Click “Create Your Account” and follow the steps listed there
- After your account is created, click the “Online Graduate Studies Application”
- Fill out the application page, under “Graduate School” you will want to select “School of Business”
- On Page 2 “Program Choice”, you should select “Project Management, C.G.S.
- You will then be prompted to “Select Term”, for which you will have to choose “Fall 2019” NOTE: This program does start in May which is technically Summer, but the system requires we select “Fall 2019”
- Click “Save Selection” and then “Next Page” at the very bottom the page
- Fill out the next page with your former academic information (undergraduate and graduate)
- On the next page list your three references and be sure to click “Submit” under EACH reference. Also remember at least one of the letters of recommendation should be from a professional employed within the field of Operations Management or a Management instructor in higher education
- The next page is the “Supplemental Questions” page – you can leave all the GRE questions blank and you only need to submit/upload the “Personal Statement” and “Resume” located near the bottom of the page
- On the next page you will be required to accept the terms and submit the application with the $50 fee. NOTE: Those of you who may require a fee waiver can request one from the graduate studies office at
email@example.com. Please indicate you are an applicant to the Westerly Education Center CGS program and you would like a fee waiver. (Once you receive the waiver you can enter it in the box labeled “Fee Waiver” and then submit your application
- Finally, email
firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure we know you are part of the Westerly cohort!
Additionally, if you intend to utilize the Real Jobs Rhode Island Funding you will need bring 2 forms of ID to the first night of classes.
Please let me know if you any questions –
* Those who are not eligible for the Real Jobs Rhode Island funding may apply and will be charged the CE rate of $323 per credit. Questions about eligibility can be directed to Tom Pearce at the Westerly Education Center via email: