Master of Professional Accountancy - M.P.Ac.
The Master of Professional Accountancy (M.P.Ac) program is committed to providing an affordable opportunity for students to pursue graduate study in the field of financial planning. The program is designed to provide students with specialized knowledge in all aspects of financial planning and also allows students to qualify to sit for the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) exam. For some students, the 30 credit hours obtained, in addition to their undergraduate degree, will allow them to satisfy the state of Rhode Island's 150-hour educational requirement to obtain certification as a Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.).
- Completed application form accompanied by a $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Students entering the program without an accounting background will be required to take a minimum of six hours of accounting principles in addition to their degree coursework.
- An applicant’s letter describing the applicant’s professional goals including how the program will help the applicant achieve these professional goals Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate records.
- Three academic or professional letters of recommendation addressing the student’s potential to succeed in a graduate program
- Completion of the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT). A B.S. degree in accounting from Rhode Island College or the University of Rhode Island, with a 3.00 GPA in the major, will exempt the applicant from the GMAT. Certain certification exams may also exempt the applicant from the GMAT.
*International students should contact Professor Sean Cote at 401-456-9028 or
email@example.com for additional admission requirements.
- Graduates will be well grounded in all aspects of personal financial planning, including income tax and estate planning, retirement planning, investment allocation and risk management
- Graduates will have the ability to perform basic research on tax planning issues.
- Graduates will have the ability to prepare a comprehensive personal financial plan for an individual.
Course Requirements for Master of Professional Accountancy – M.P.Ac.
Master of Professional Accountancy with Concentration in Financial Accounting
The Master of Professional Accountancy with Concentration in Financial Accounting provides relevant accounting education for those with an undergraduate major in accounting who plan to take the C.P.A. examination and be licensed in Rhode Island, or any state requiring five years of education for the C.P.A. license.
Required Foundation Courses (21 Credits)
||Advanced AIS: Systems Modeling
||Advanced Topics in Cost Management
||Advanced Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting
||Advanced Topics in Auditing and Fraud
||Advanced Topics in Financial Reporting
Electives (9 Credits)
NINE CREDIT HOURS of graduate accounting course work.
Total Credit Hours: 30
Master of Professional Accountancy with Concentration in Personal Financial Planning
The Master of Professional Accountancy with Concentration in Personal Financial Planning prepares individuals for careers in personal financial planning and can be custom designed to meet a variety of career and professional goals.
Required Foundation Courses (9 Credits)
||Fundamentals of Financial Planning
||Personal Income Tax Planning
||Financial Planning Capstone
Electives (21 Credits)
TWENTY-ONE CREDIT HOURS OF COURSES at the graduate level appropriate to career plans.
Total Credits Hours: 30
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. owns the trademarks CFP®, Certified Financial Planner™ and
certification marks in the U.S., which it awards to individual who successfully complete CFP Board’s initial and ongoing certification requirements.
Rhode Island College does not certify individuals to use the CFP®, Certified Financial Planner™ and
certification marks. CFP® certification is granted solely by Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. to individuals who, in addition to completing an educational requirement such as this CFP Board-Registered Program, have met ethics, experience and examination requirements.
For additional information please contact: