Click here to download a copy of the internship form. You may also obtain a copy in the Communications office.
The internship program is designed for upper level Communication Majors. It
enables students to gain a comprehensive understanding of professional work
through on-the-job training. The program can provide an effective transition
from academic work to a career in a specific communication field.
Interns will be expected to work a total of 120 hours per semester,
regardless of academic requirements, employment or holidays. All breaks and vacations
must be coordinated with the cooperating internship agency.
The internship is for one semester but may be repeated for one other term.
- Students must be a Communication Major.
- Completion of at least 75 semester hours by the end of the term in which
students are applying.
- Completion of at least six (6) courses in the Communication area.
- Cumulative grade point index of at least 2.5 in Communication with no grade
lower than a "C."
- Apply to the Communication Internship Coordinator with the application, most
recent college transcript of your courses and grades and a resume. After being
accepted into the program, the student will be granted an interview with a
communication professional, in consultation with the Intern Coordinator,
will decide on the acceptance of the candidate.
- Filing of application does not guarantee acceptance by the Department for the
Internship Program. In cases where the Internship is not required, the Department
reserves the right to deny approval or postpone the application to a later
- Transfer students should be aware that the Department does not guarantee
placement in the Internship program within the first four semesters at RIC, or
that students can complete all requirements for graduation within four