The internship program is designed for upper level Communication Majors. It enables students to gain a comprehensive understanding of professional work through on-the-job training. The program can provide an effective transition from academic work to a career in a specific communication field.
Interns will be expected to work 12-15 hours per week for a total of 120 hours, regardless of academic requirements, employment or holidays. All breaks and vacations must be coordinated with the cooperating internship agency.
The internship is for one semester but may be repeated for one other term.
- Students must be a Communication Major.
- Completion of at least 75 semester hours by the end of the term in which students are applying.
- Completion of at least six (6) courses in the Communication area.
- Cumulative grade point index of at least 2.5 in Communication with no grade lower than a "C."
- Apply to the Communication Internship Coordinator with the application, most recent college transcript of your courses and grades and a resume. After being accepted into the program, the student will be granted an interview with a communication professional, in consultation with the Intern Coordinator, will decide on the acceptance of the candidate.
- Filing of application does not guarantee acceptance by the Department for the Internship Program. In cases where the Internship is not required, the Department reserves the right to deny approval or postpone the application to a later semester.
- Transfer students should be aware that the Department does not guarantee placement in the Internship program within the first four semesters at RIC, or that students can complete all requirements for graduation within four semesters.