COMMITTEE ON STUDENT LIFE
A. Powers and Duties
1. The Committee shall:
a. Develop and administer a regular process for monitoring the quality of student life at Rhode Island College and make recommendations as appropriate.
b. Review the goals and objectives of those College agencies which affect the quality of student life.
c. Recommend regulations concerning conduct of students while on campus or when representing the College; codify and publish such regulations as soon as is practicable.
d. Have the authority to delegate responsibility to Student Community Government, Inc., residence hall councils, or other appropriate entities. Decisions on matters so delegated shall be subject to the approval of the Committee.
2. In emergencies, action may be taken by officers designated by the President of the College, subject to subsequent review by the Committee or by the Executive Committee of Council, as circumstances permit; such actions shall be communicated promptly to the Committee and to the Executive Committee of the Council.
3. Actions taken by the Committee under paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Article are subject to review by Council and by the President of the College.
4. The Committee shall file a report of its activities, at least once each year, with the Council of Rhode Island College, to be placed in the Council's public file, with the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, and with Student Community Government, Inc. The Committee shall make recommendations to Council or its committees, to the President, to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students and/or to any other appropriate persons or entities, with respect to development or modification of policies, procedures, or regulations necessary for improving the quality of student life at Rhode Island College.
5. The Committee shall meet as necessary at the call of the Chair, or upon written request of the President or the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, and, in any case, at least once during the first month of each semester.
The Committee shall consist of ten members:
1. Four faculty members, appointed by the Committee on Committees to serve for staggered two-year terms.
2. Two professional staff from the Division of Student Affairs, appointed by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students.
3. Three students appointed by Student Parliament: at least one of whom shall be a graduate student, at least one of whom shall be a student living in a campus residence hall, and at least one of whom shall be an undergraduate student.
4. The Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, ex-officio, non-voting.