All Faculty and Staff Email is now in Office 365. Do you need assistance?
In the summer of 2000 the Staff Development and Training Unit of the Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) created an internship program that would offer to Rhode Island College students the opportunity to have experience in a public child welfare agency. When the Child Welfare Institute (CWI) at Rhode Island College was created by Governor Lincoln Almond in the year 2001, this College Internship Program became one of the key programs in the new Institute.
The CWI and DCYF recognize the need and the responsibility to provide quality field experience to students from all major areas of study.
The uniqueness of this internship experience is the fact that each and every intern is placed according to his or her own area of interest. It is not uncommon for a new field experience to be created just for one student's interest.
The interns who serve at the DCYF come from two- and four-year public and private colleges and universities including undergraduate and graduate programs from a variety of disciplines. Many have gone on to careers in human services.
The College Internship Program is growing rapidly as students are returning to their colleges and discussing the cutting-edge experiences they are having at DCYF.
As an intern at the DCYF you are entitled to:
- A specially designed orientation program.
- Attendance at specially designed intern workshops.
- A stimulating and educational placement that will be "hands-on" with immediate client contact.
- Firsthand information regarding conferences in the Rhode Island area.
- Attendance at professional staff training.
- Placement in the internship arranged around your schedule.
- Ability to network in the human service community.
- Mileage reimbursement.
- Ability to choose areas of interest regarding your internship.
- Opportunities to conduct research that is course related.
To establish an internship with DCYF through the CWI:
- Call the Child Welfare Institute (401-456-4622) for a personal interview.
- Bring your résumé to the interview.
- Receive a packet of information.
- Register for intern orientation.
- Receive assignment to a supervisor at one of our four DCYF regional offices.
All majors are welcome!