The Rhode Island College Dance Area together with the Performing and Fine Arts Commission, Capezio, and Dancerswarehouse.com are proud to sponsor this exciting scholarship competition event. The winner of SO YOU WANNA BE A DANCE MAJOR will receive a one year scholarship* to Rhode Island College, the second place winner
will receive a scholarship for one semester* at Rhode Island College, and the third place
winner will receive a $500 shopping spree of Capezio and Dancerswarehouse.com products.
Scholarship Competition Eligibility Requirements
- Participants must be between the ages of 16 and
21 and in their junior or senior year of high school.
Transfer college-level students are also eligible but
must be admitted to Rhode Island College at the
junior level or below.
- Scholarship is valid only towards a degree at Rhode Island College and is not transferable.
- Winner must declare a B.A. Dance Performance Major at Rhode Island College upon being accepted to the college.
- All prizes are contingent upon the winner's official acceptance into Rhode Island College as a full-time student by the admissions office. (Click here for admissions information.)
- This is a performance-based competition and all decisions of the judges are final.
*The one year and one semester scholarship prizes are equal
to the one year and one semester in-state tuition at Rhode
Island College, respectively, at the time of the competition and
have no monetary value. Scholarships are one time only awards
and are nonrenewable or nontransferable. If for any reason
the first place winner will not attend Rhode Island College, the
first place prize will go to the next highest contestant and will
continue as such until all awards have been successfully awarded
to a contestant who will be a Rhode Island College incumbent
B.A. Dance Performance major.
The deadline to apply is March 15, 2011. Dancers must submit a completed application which will include the following:
- A cover letter including applicant's first, middle,
and last name; age; date of birth; current school
attending; grade level; years dancing and in which
type(s) of dance. The cover letter portion of the requirements may be fulfilled by completing the online cover letter form, located below. However, all other requirements must still be completed.
- A headshot and a full-body photo of the student
in black leotards and tights or black long jazz pants
and black tee shirt and appropriate footwear (or
bare feet) for the style being presented. Applicant's
name should be clearly marked on each photo.
- Each applicant must prepare two solo dance
routines from separate dance disciplines (i.e.,
ballet, modern, jazz, tap, lyrical) Each solo must be
between two and three minutes. Applicant need
not be the choreographer of the work. Included in
the application will be the title of music and artist,
length of routine, choreographer, and genre of
dance. Performances of work will be in person. DVD
or videos will not be accepted as a substitute for
attending the competition.
- A 500 word essay answering the question "Why do you want to be a dance major in college?"
Mail applications should be sent to:
Department Music, Theatre, and Dance
Attention: Dance Scholarship
Rhode Island College
600 Mount Pleasant Avenue
Providence, RI 02908
Applicant must be available and on location in Providence, Rhode Island, for competition on March 24 and 25, 2011. Applicants must participate in all master classes on March 24. Contestants must have submitted all materials, including a nonrefundable entry fee of $25.00 before March 24. Click here for a list of hotel accommodations near Rhode Island College.
* Indicates required field