NOTICE : Nov. 28 - Holiday office and power outage closures. Click for details.
Along with completing required courses in secondary education, students electing a major in history must complete the following courses with a minimum grade point average of 2.75:
- HIST 200, 201, 202, 362
- ONE COURSE from U.S. History at the 300-level
- ONE COURSE from Western History I: HIST 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 311, 312, 315, 318, 352
- ONE COURSE from Western History II: HIST 308, 309, 310, 313, 316, 317, 353
- ONE COURSE from Non-Western History
Note: To enroll in SED 411 and 412, students must have completed at least 24 credit hours of courses in social science/history, including ECON 214, GEOG 400, HIST 201 and 202, and POL 202. Students must have completed HIST 200 and one 300-level course in Non-Western History, Western History, and U.S. History. (General Education courses may be counted to meet this requirement.)
To be certified to teach history in Rhode Island secondary schools, students must also complete seven of the certification courses listed below. Upon completion, students may be eligible for Rhode Island endorsement to teach economics, geography, political science, and social studies. Students may also be eligible for endorsement to teach anthropology and/or sociology, if they take two of the designated anthropology courses (see below) and/or two of the designated sociology courses (see below). Only one course in these disciplines is required if endorsement in these disciplines is not sought.
- ECON 214, 215
- GEOG 400
- POL 202
- ONE COURSE from: ANTH 101, 205; SOC 200, 202, 208
- ONE COURSE from: GEOG 101, 303, 307, 337
- ONE COURSE from: POL 208, 337, 357, 358