All Faculty and Staff Email is now in Office 365. Do you need assistance?
M.A. in English with Concentration in Creative WritingVisit the Creative Writing website
- A completed application form accompanied by a fifty-dollar nonrefundable application fee.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate records.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale in 24 credit hours of upper-level courses in English language and literature.
- An official report of scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- An official report of scores on the Graduate Record Advanced Literature in English Examination (optional).
- Three letters of recommendation, with at least two from English professors.
- A 1-2 page Statement of Intent outlining your area of writing interest, your goals for the program, and your relevant background.
- A writing sample in your primary genre: 10-15 pages of poetry, or 15-30 pages of prose (literary fiction or literary nonfiction).
- A plan of study approved by the advisor and appropriate dean completed after application has been approved.
Under the thesis plan (optional for M.A. in English; required for M.A. in English with concentration in creative writing), students take ENGL 591: Directed Reading and ENGL 592: Master’s Thesis in their final semesters of study toward the M.A. degree.
MA, Creative Writing Concentration Thesis: During their final semesters of study toward the MA degree, students will complete research for and write a master’s thesis on a subject of their choice that has been approved by the departmental creative writing committee. Written under the direction of a creative writing faculty member of the student’s choice, the thesis will consist of a substantial body of poetry, fiction, or creative nonfiction. A defense of the thesis before a faculty committee is required in all cases.