Skip Repetitive Navigation Links
English Major Program Goals
- Students will be able to analyze both verbal and visual texts from a number of genres
and a variety of historical periods.
- Students will be able to read texts critically and with sensitivity to the historical and
cultural conditions within which they are produced.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to produce effective writing in a variety of critical
modes, using the conventions of standard American English. In addition, students
choosing to focus on creative writing will demonstrate appropriate ability in this area.
- Students will understand current theory and be able to employ varieties of theoretical
approaches in their critical analyses.
- Students will be able to incorporate secondary sources and/or traditional and nontraditional
research material into the analysis of texts and will be able to use correct MLA
- Students will understand the goals of the major and be able to assess the strengths and
weaknesses of their program.