NOTICE : Planned Power Outages - November 2 and 4. Click for details.
Certificate Program in Hybrid
Teaching and Learning
The Certificate in Hybrid Teaching and Learning
The Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning at Rhode Island College offers a program for the Certificate in Hybrid Teaching and Learning. The CHTL is intended to provide higher-education and K-12 faculty and pre-service teacher candidates with the skills required to meet the burgeoning needs of converting face-to-face pedagogy and skills to a hybrid learning environment. In the hybrid learning environment, approximately 50% of course content and class interaction is completed online using a Learning Management System (LMS) along with a variety of other software applications.
Two courses are required to complete the certificate program. Each course will be taken and completed in a hybrid teaching and learning format over a summer and fall term. The "Foundations in Hybrid Teaching and Learning" course will be offered in the summer, and the "Practicum in Hybrid Teaching and Learning" will run during the fall semester. At the conclusion of the "Foundations in Hybrid Teaching and Learning" course, participants will have designed a hybrid course that they will then teach in the "Practicum in Hybrid Teaching and Learning" in the fall.
This certificate program is open to all aspiring and current teachers, and to faculty members who teach (or want to teach) a hybrid course in any content area, from grades K-12 through to higher education. Participants must have access to a Learning Management System at their teaching institution. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required.
Certificate in Hybrid Teaching participants earn 8.4 continuing education credits total.
For more information about how to be successful in this course, please visit:
Cont 300: Foundations in Hybrid Teaching and Learning = 60 hours class time = 6 CEU credits.
June 25, 26, 27: 4-7:30pm, Face-to-Face
July 1-5: Online
July 8-12: Online
July 15, 16, 17: 4-7:30pm, Face-to-Face
July 22-26: Online
July 29 and 30: 4-7:30pm, Face-to-Face
Cont 320: Practicum in Hybrid Teaching and Learning = 24 hours = CEU 2.4 credits.
- Face-to-Face meetings with colleagues and instructors (2 hours each): September, October, and December 2013. Third Thursday of the month, 4-6pm. 6 hours
- Participants will work in pairs in the fall semester.
- Participants will visit one colleague’s hybrid classroom two different times over the course of the term, and will observe online interactions, as well as view and assess course materials. Participants will evaluate their colleague’s online class and make recommendations, based on a supplied rubric. 14 hours
- Participants will meet with instructors for one-on-one consultations; instructors will visit participant's classroom once in the fall term. 4 hours
- Participants will engage in asynchronous discussion with colleagues. 4 hours
- Participants will complete and turn in a Philosophy of Hybrid Teaching and Learning statement.
To register, visit:
Certificate for Hybrid Teaching and Learning Faculty:
Marie F. Beardwood, MA
Academic Technologist, Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning
Rhode Island College