Teaching Co-Operative Workshop Series
The Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning is here to support your professional growth and development. The Co-Op Workshops are designed to bring RIC faculty together and to encourage the sharing of our expertise across disciplines, while inviting us to become more reflective about what we do as teachers. During most weeks of the term we offer two different opportunities to attend a workshop.
Wednesday January 23 12:30-2:00
- FCTL Anniversary Lunch. Join us for lunch as we begin our third year. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 16.
Tuesday January 29 12:30-2:00 pm or Wednesday January 30 12:30-2:00 pm
- Holly Dygert and Robyn Linde, 2012-2013 Presidential Faculty Fellows, will be joined by Kerry Condon from Rhode Island Campus Compact to speak about service learning at RIC and resources available to professors.
Tuesday February 12 12:30-2:00 pm or Thursday February 14 12:30-2:00 pm
- Please join Nancy Cloud and learn about the body of research supporting dual language education and its potential to cultivate the linguistic skills needed to ensure our economic future. Review three major types of dual language programs and what must be in place to implement them with success. Discuss steps you can take to make dual language education a possibility for all RI children, whether they come to school speaking another world language or wish to learn one with proficiency.
Wednesday February 13 12:30-2:00
- First Year Seminar Development Workshop: Please join FYS Coordinator Quenby Hughes and FCTL Director J. Zornado at a workshop focused on course development for First Year Seminar. All are welcome.
Tuesday February 19 12:30-2:00 pm or Thursday February 21 12:30-2:00 pm
- Please join us for a discussion about plagiarism, academic honesty, and ways to help our students avoid running afoul of academic integrity issues.
Tuesday February 26 12:30-2:00 or Thursday 28 12:30-2:00
- Please join Lisa Smolski for a discussion and workshop on grant writing and all things related to Office of Research and Grants Administration.
Tuesday March 5 12:30-2:00 or Thursday March 7 12:30-2:00
- How’s your teaching going? Are you students engaged? Join the FCTL for a workshop on how to design mid-term class evaluations you can administer to students on Blackboard.
Tuesday March 19 12:30-2:00 pm or Thursday March 21 12:30-2:00 pm
- Please join Chris Marco for a workshop on developing a new Connections course for General Education. Are you interested in developing a Connections course, but do not know where to begin? Join Chris Marco (FCTL Teaching Fellow/Psychology) and the FCTL for a discussion about how to make "Connections" to your discipline. Join us to compare notes and share ideas as we generate new "Connections" possibilities.
Wednesday March 20 12:30-2:00
- Please join Randy DeSimone (SOM) and Sarah Spinette (Biology) for a workshop on designing and implementing effective exams.
Tuesday March 26 12:30-2:00 or Thursday March 28 12:30-2:00
- Please join Mike Michaud (English and Writing Board) and Quenby Hughes (History and FYS) for a workshop and discussion on how to make the most of writing assignments and writing instruction in the First Year Seminar.
Tuesday April 2 12:30-2:00 or Thursday April 4 12:30-2:00
- Please join Joan Rollins (Psychology) for a discussion and workshop on what it means to teach a fully-online class.
Wednesday April 10 12:30-2:00 pm
- Join John Williams (Chemistry) for a discussion of ways identify and counsel students unprepared to attempt organic chemistry (and other upper-level required courses in a major) before they are half-way through the course and the semester.
Tuesday April 23 12:30-2:00 or Thursday April 25 12:30-2:00
- Please join Andres Ramirez (Education) for a workshop on ways to effectively
organize your Course Content in Blackboard for the Face-to-Face class.
Wednesday April 24 12:30-2:00
- FYS for spring instructors—join your FYS colleagues to discuss your spring seminar. How did it go? What worked? What didn’t? What do you know now that you wish you knew in January?
Tuesday April 30 12:30-2:00
- Please join Becky Caouette (First Year Writing Coordinator) for a discussion about writing outcomes from the first year writing program.