The Feinstein School of Education and Human Development (so named because of a generous gift from education philanthropist
Alan Shawn Feinstein in 1997) is responsible for designing, developing, and implementing programs that prepare professional personnel for educator and counseling roles in schools and social service agencies that serve the needs of the diverse communities of Rhode Island. The FSEHD administers and coordinates all professional education programs at Rhode Island College and serves as the College's liaison with the
Rhode Island Department of Education and local school systems. FSEHD has defined its own
mission, consistent with comparable documents of the institution. See also the
Quick facts and assessment results
- The School serves about 1,000 initial certification candidates and we graduate approximately 200 teachers each year.
100% of our program completers pass the State Licensure tests.
RI Educator Preparation Index contains data related to certification, employment and effectiveness of our graduates.
- RIC’s teacher candidates demonstrate high GPAs at admissions and upon exit
- 2016-2017 FSEHD Admissions – The GPA average at admissions was 3.455
- 2016-2017 FSEHD Exit – the GPA average at graduation was 3.492
- The School has been continuously accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), now the
Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), since 1954. The latest accreditation was confirmed in 2012, with the next site visit scheduled for 2018.
In the spring of 2016, FSEHD sent surveys to recent graduates as well as to employers who hired our recent graduates. The following links provide details of the survey responses. The FSEHD faculty are currently analyzing this data, by program, looking for specifics to help with program improvement.
alumni survey is a combination of initial certification and advanced certification programs.
- The employer surveys were sent out separately by programs, one for
initial certification programs and one for
advanced certification programs.