Elementary MAT One-Year Intensive Program Cohort
Are you interested in realizing your dream to become an elementary school teacher?
RIC's Elementary Education MAT program is offering an alternative route to earn a master's degree and eligibility for certification through a 1-year intensive, off-campus graduate program. This program runs for 8 weeks in the summer, beginning in mid-May, and two semesters, and offers extensive experiences working with children in preparation for a full semester student teaching.
Admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Elementary Education program is required.
- Location: Wyndham Garden Providence Wyndham Garden Providence, 220 India Street, Providence, RI 02903
- Tuition is at approved rates, but no fees are charged. This amounts to about a 10% discount. Financial aid is available mainly in the form of graduate loans.
- Schedule is described below, but may be subject to minor changes.
- Undergraduate degree with minimum GPA of 3.0 and content background appropriate for teaching elementary school
- Test scores from Praxis II Elementary Education Content Knowledge Exam 0014 (minimum 145)
- Statement of Educational Philosophy
- Two disposition references
IF GPA IS BELOW 3.0, then test scores from Praxis I PPST: Math score of at least 179, Reading score of at least 179,Writing score of at least 177, and Composite score of 535, with no test score more than 3 points below the cut or GRE: minimum composite score of 1100, including at least 465 on Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning score of at least 584 are required. Taking and passing the Praxis I PPST or GRE does not guarantee admission, but will be considered in conjunction with all other criteria
Advantages of the 1-Year Intensive Program
- Convenient off-campus location with easy parking
- Earned master's degree and eligibility for certification, with all certification tests for RI completed
- Extensive experiences working with children and teaching elementary grade subject matter prior to student teaching
- Support from peers in program, faculty, and program coordinator
The Online Application is available only for MAT ELED One Year Cohort 2012. Application deadline is March 15, 2012.