Skip Repetitive Navigation Links


Post-Baccalaureate Programs​

If you already have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, and now would like to become a certified teacher, you have three options:

  1. The Rhode Island Teacher Education Program (RITE). It is a non-degree certification program; it may take about 35 credit hours to complete, depending on your previous academic background. It is available in Secondary Education only (Biology, Chemistry, English, French, General Science, History, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies or Spanish). You should have a degree in the subject of certification.
  2. Masters of Arts in Teaching
  3. Finally, there is the second BA option. This makes sense when your undegraduate degree is very different from the area you want to teach. It will probably take you 2.5 years to complete. To apply talk to the appropriate advisor of undergraduate programs.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I start as RITE, and then transfer to MAT?
    • Not really. You need to decide from the start which route to take.
  • Will I get paid more if I have a Masters degree?
    • In most districts, you will receive $2,000-$3,000 more for having a masters degree.
  • With whom do I discuss the admission process?


Page last updated: October 30, 2017