NOTICE : Parking validation stickers for RIC community available at Campus Police office. Click for details.
New Information FSEHD Teacher Preparation Programs and RIDE Certification
Early Childhood Programs
- 1. Admission to the following programs is suspended after September 11, 2012
- Early Childhood BA (content)
- Early Childhood BS (Special Education Mild/Moderate Elementary/Middle)
- 2. Students will be able to choose only the new Early Childhood BS option beginning in May 2013 for Fall 2013 admission.
- 3. Students in the Early Childhood BS option will not be able to combine this program with an undergraduate Special Education program (e.g. Mild/Moderate Elementary). Interested candidates must have a certification in Early Childhood Special Education and could seek a 5th year M.Ed. option.
Elementary and Special Education Programs
- 4. On January 1, 2015 RIDE will no longer approve certification for Elementary Education (ELED) Special Education Mild/Moderate Elementary/Middle but will issue separate certificates in Elementary, Middle and Secondary Special Education. Teacher Candidates who wish to apply for this certification will need to complete their program and apply for certification no later than the end of the Fall 2014 semester.
Secondary and Special Education Programs
- 5. On January 1, 2015 RIDE will no longer approve certification for Secondary Education (SED) Special Education Mild/Moderate Middle/Secondary but will issue separate certificates in Elementary, Middle and Secondary Special Education. Teacher Candidates who wish to apply for this certification will need to complete their program and apply for certification no later than the end of the Fall 2014 semester.
Special Education Programs
- 6. On January 1, 2015, RIDE will begin to issue 4 distinct teaching certifications in Mild/Moderate Special Education. To become certified, candidates in Special Education must complete both special education and the corresponding general education program:
- Early Childhood Special Education Program with Early Childhood Education Program
- Elementary Special Education Program with Elementary Education Program
- Middle Level Special Education Program with Middle Level Education Program
- Secondary Level Special Education Program with a Secondary Education Program (i.e. English Education, Science Education, Social Studies Education, Mathematics Education)
- 7. Teacher candidates who wish to apply for certification in Special Education: Severe Intellectual Disability must hold a General Education certification at a specific grade level to receive a corresponding Special Education certification (e.g. Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle or Secondary Grades certification).
Test Requirements for RI Certification beginning September 1, 2013
Please consult the