Bachelor of Science in Community Health and Wellness
The B.S. in Community Health and Wellness is a multidisciplinary degree program originating in the Health and Physical Education department. Community and public health, health education, health promotion, fitness and wellness professionals possess the passion, interests and skills to improve health outcomes by assisting individuals and communities to voluntarily adopt healthy behaviors and lifestyles. These professionals:
- Assist individuals and communities to develop behaviors and skills that reduce health risks and enhance quality of life.
- Implement culturally responsive interventions and health promotion programs based on community needs and evidence based practices.
- Improve health outcomes through support and development of policy or systems change that address social determinants of health and health disparities.
- Engage in advocacy initiatives related to community and public health, fitness and/or wellness.
According to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of healthcare occupations is projected to grow 19 percent from 2014 to 2024. This growth is the direct result from rising cost of healthcare and state and national initiatives to support health for all.
The major includes core courses in health and/or fitness, biology, psychology, interdisciplinary electives, a practicum, and full-semester internship experience in a community and public health or fitness/wellness setting. Students can select from one of five concentrations:
- Health and Aging
- Community and Public Health Education
- Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Wellness and Movement Studies
- Women's Health
BS in Community Health and Wellness Concentrations:
Information & Course Details (click here)
Graduates may pursue careers in a variety of community and public health education/promotion and wellness settings such as health departments, hospitals, community health centers, corporate wellness settings, governmental health organizations, youth organizations and health agencies. Graduates will also be prepared to pursue graduate study in a variety of fields and professional certification in several areas (i.e. Certified Health Education Specialist, Certified Personal Trainer).