Bachelor of Science in Health Education
The B. S. Degree in Health Education – Teacher Preparation from Rhode Island College prepares graduates to teach school children in grades K-12 essential skills necessary to adopt and support health enhancing behaviors. Experienced and dynamic faculty model best teaching practices in an interactive learning environment. The program provides teacher candidates many opportunities to work with children and youth in schools, giving the teacher candidate a hands-on and authentic experience. RIC Health Education courses prepare teacher candidates in health content areas, as well as in planning, implementation and assessment of health education curricula. The RIC Health Education graduate will be qualified to:
- Teach diverse students
- Create learning experiences based on best practices and in which all students can learn
- Plan, implement and assess skills-based health education that promotes health literacy
- Incorporate technology in the classroom
- Collaborate with professionals in a Coordinated School Health Program
- Advocate for health education
- Reflect on their teaching and seek ongoing professional development and lifelong learning
- Be a leader in the field of health education
The Health and Physical Education Department at Rhode Island College also offers three non-teacher certification options for individuals interested in health but who will seek employment outside of the K-12 school setting. For more information on our Bachelor of Science degree in Community Health and Wellness with concentrations in Community and Public Health Education, Health and Aging or Women’s Studies, please
click here to bring you to the appropriate webpage.
B.S. in Health Education
This page describes the teacher preparation track, NOT the
Community Health concentration
- Consult the Feinstein School of Education website for general requirements.
- Program specific requirements are HPE 140 with a minimum grade of B-.
- A minimum overall grade point average of 2.75 each semester.
- A minimum grade of B- in HPE 300, HPE 417 and HPE 418, and a recommendation to continue from the instructors of each course.
- There is a minimum grade requirement for all other required, professional and cognate courses. Please check with your advisor for more information.
- Completion of the Professional Service Retention Requirement prior to enrolling in HPE 424.
Students must present current certification in basic first aid and adult-child-infant CPR in order to student teach.
Click here for course details.
The Murray Center 141