B.S. in Wellness and Exercise Science
Do you enjoy physical activity, exercise and fitness? Would you like to help individuals and communities optimize their physical health and wellness?
This may be the ideal are of study for you!
Learn about the science of human movement, skills for achieving fitness, wellness, and healthy nutrition behaviors to help others transform health through exercise.
The Bachelor of Science in Wellness and Exercise Science prepares students to explore the scientific world of fitness, health and wellness.
The program is aligned with the National Standards of the industry set by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
The science behind fitness and wellness is evolving quickly. The demand for trained and certified professionals is growing. The fitness industry provides a wide variety of career paths.
Program and Coursework Focus
- Scientific application of anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology
- Administer and evaluate health screenings and fitness assessments
- Application of human biomechanics
- Exercise prescription for various professional settings and diverse populations
- Wellness interventions and community education
- Health and wellness promotion throughout the lifespan
- Research methods and application
- Community wellness and fitness advocacy
- Utilizing industry standards to develop appropriate physical training programs for all populations
- Experiential learning opportunities and a full-semester internship in a fitness and wellness setting
Graduates of the Wellness and Exercise Science major work in a variety of professional settings including:
- Corporate and Business Fitness & Wellness Sites
- Rehabilitation Facilities
- Nonprofit Agencies
- Community Health Agencies
- Fitness Facilities
- Health Clinics and Hospitals
- Entrepreneurial Opportunities
- Strength and Conditioning Facilities
- Research Organizations Colleges and Universities
Where do our students intern?
- Brown University Athletics
- Miriam Hospital Cardiac Rehab
- Fidelity Fitness Center
- Body Soul Fitness Center
- Corporate Fitness Companies (Optum, Pro Health, Plus One)
- Northeastern University Athletics
- Providence College Health Promotion
- Pappas Physical Therapy
- YMCAs & Boys & Girls Clubs
- Atria Senior Living
- Shift Movement Science & Champion Physical Therapy
- Ocean State Chiropractic
- Dean College
- Pride Fitness Performance
BS in Wellness and Exercise Science (WES):
Information & Course Details (click here)
WES Mission Statement: The mission of the Wellness and Exercise Science major at Rhode Island College is to provide students with a comprehensive curriculum that includes the essential knowledge, skills, and competencies to be a reflective practitioner in their field.
WES Vision Statement: The WES major will provide a holistic perspective to wellness and exercise. Our major will emphasize the importance of social justice, lifelong learning, personal fitness, and wellness as the cornerstones to professional decision making. The curriculum is dedicated to providing a rigorous plan of study grounded in theoretical foundations, current research, and practical application.
Upon completion the students will:
- Apply knowledge to assess and analyze the health, skill, and wellness related components.
- Create, implement, and evaluate exercise programs for the health, skill, and wellness related components in authentic situations.
- Demonstrate an ability to educate and counsel individuals regarding fitness principles and effective behavioral strategies to increase exercise adherence.
- Demonstrate knowledge regarding legal, ethical, and social justice issues affecting the individual practitioners and the profession as a whole.
- Acquire the knowledge to manage organizations and establish guidelines and protocols in accordance with national standards.
WES Program Requirements (click here)