If you have an immediate concern regarding the safety of yourself, a student or other members of the RIC Community, please call 911 and then contact the Campus Police @ (401) 456-8201. (Available 24/7)
Helping Others Pursue Excellence (H.O.P.E.) Team
Purpose: To support student success and retention through outreach to students of concern attending Rhode Island College.
- Dr. Tamika Wordlow-Williams, Assistant Vice President & Dean of Students (Co-Chair)
- Peggy Lynch-Gadaleta, J.D., Director of Institutional Equity/Title IX Coordinator (Co-Chair)
- Dr. Chantelle Pseekos, Director of the Counseling Center/Psychologist
- Allison Thayer, Area Coordinator Residential Life and Housing
- Joise Garzon, Director of Learning for Life
- Dr. Warren Miller, Professor, MSW Program
- Keri Rossi-D’entremont, Assistant Dean of Students, Accessibility and Inclusion
- Dr. Holly Shadoian, Vice Provost, Undergraduate Academic Affairs
- Christie Rishworth, Director of Health Services
- Dr. Marissa Weiss, Associate Dean, Student Life Office
How Can I Make a Referral?
The H.O.P.E. Team has a specialty portal available through the Rhode Island College website to assist you in making referrals to the team. When making a referral, please have the following information available: (1) Your Name, Department, Contact Number (2) Student Name, Contact Number (3) Specific Nature of Your Concern.
When is it Appropriate to Refer a Student to the H.O.P.E. Team: (1) When you would like a specific Department (e.g., Residential Life, Counseling) to check-in with a student. (2) When a student is repeatedly missing academic courses and you have non-imminent concerns about the student’s well-being. (3) When you are concerned that a student does not have access to resources (e.g., Housing, Food, Funding to Purchase Books) to be successful at Rhode Island College. (4) When a student experiences a death and is seeking additional support.
What Can I Expect After Making a Referral?
You will receive confirmation that your referral was received and the co-chairs will review the referral within 48 hours to generate a response plan. The H.O.P.E. Team meets on a bi-weekly basis throughout the Academic Year. The team members will review the response plan and outreach to the student to offer support. You will be notified by email once the referral is resolved.
When you have an immediate concern regarding the safety of yourself, a student, or other members of the Rhode Island College Community, please contact Campus Police (available during/after business hours): 401-456-8201.
When you would like a direct phone consultation with a Counseling Center provider regarding a student concern, please contact the Counseling Center (M-F 8:30am-4:30pm) at 401-456-8094.
Please contact one of our committee co-chairs:
Assistant Vice President & Dean of Students, Tamika Wordlow-Williams Ed.D.: 401-456-8391
Director of Institutional Equity/Title IX Coordinator, Peggy Lynch-Gadaleta, J.D.: 401-456-8387