ATTENTION RIC STUDENTS: Hours have been extended in OASIS and the Bursar and Records offices. Click for details.
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Federal law requires that academic institutions such as RIC in which live vertebrate animals are used in research and/or teaching must establish and maintain an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). It is the charge of this committee to oversee all aspects of animal care and use on campus in order to ensure compliance with provisions of the Animal Welfare Act and Public Health Service policy on humane treatment of animals.
Federally Mandated IACUC Functions:
- Review at least every six months the institutional programs for humane care and use of animals in teaching and research activities.
- Inspect at least every six months all of the animal housing and use facilities using the USDA Regulations/Guide for appropriate standards as a basis.
- Prepare and submit semi-annual reports of IACUC activities, facility inspections, and program reviews to the Institutional Official.
- Submit reports on animal utilization activity to federal oversight regulatory agencies including the USDA and the National Institute of Health's Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW).
- Review and investigate any concerns involving the care and use of animals and suspension of previously approved animal activity if it is determined that the activity is in violation of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Education and training of personnel who actively participate in research or teaching activities involving the handling and use of live vertebrate animals.
For any questions regarding operation of the IACUC, meetings or other matters please contact the IACUC chair. To submit research protocols to the IACUC, please proceed to the Manage Protocols page. For information on training and health forms related to animal handling at Rhode Island College please proceed to the IACUC Training and Health Forms page.
To report a concern regarding animal use and/or care at Rhode Island College contact the IACUC chair. You may also send an anonymous letter to the IACUC chair at: Rhode Island College, IACUC Chair, 600 Mount Pleasant Ave., Providence RI, 02908, Horace Mann Hall 314.