Scholarships & Awards
John A. and Mary V. Lima Memorial Scholarship in Portuguese Studies
The John A. and Mary V. Lima Memorial Scholarship Fund in Portuguese Studies will award two scholarships to undergraduate students enrolled in the Portuguese Studies Program at Rhode Island College in the amount of $2,000 each upon satisfactory completion of the required course(s). It is the intention of the selection committee to award one scholarship to a student majoring in Portuguese and one scholarship to a student minoring in Portuguese, however, the selection committee reserves the right to adjust the distribution of the awards depending upon the pool of applications presented. The awards are subject to the conditions and requirements of the Institute for Portuguese and Lusophone World Studies, the Rhode Island College Foundation and the John A. and Mary V. Lima Memorial Scholarship criteria as described herein.
Scope of the IPLWS Scholarship Program
Scholarships will be awarded to students who have demonstrated a commitment to and an intention to continue the study of the Portuguese language and Lusophone cultures at Rhode Island College A limited number of scholarships, based on the availability of institutional and private funds, will be awarded to academically meritorious students who have met eligibility requirements and the criteria of the respective scholarship fund and/or donor.
The applicant must:
- have matriculated into a baccalaureate degree program at Rhode Island College;
- have attained and continue to maintain a cumulative GPA of a minimum of B- (2.67);
- have successfully completed at least 12 college credit hours at RIC, 4 of which in Portuguese;
- have declared a Major or Minor in Portuguese.
The applicant must:
- complete and submit the Lima Scholarship Application Form;
- submit an unofficial college academic transcript from all colleges attended;
- submit a one page typewritten (double-spaced 12 pt font) essay addressing the specified questions:
- submit recommendations using the application form "Instructor's Recommendation" from two (2) professors or instructors in an academic setting. Letters from family members will not be accepted.
All application materials must be submitted to the IPLWS Office, (Sylvan R. Forman Center, Ste. 201) no later than 6:00 p.m. on Friday, February 24 2017 by hand, by U.S. mail or electronically in PDF format.
Notice of Awards
Recipients will be notified in writing by U.S. mail if selected.
Scholarship awards are NOT automatically renewed. Former scholarship recipients must re-apply.
Revocation of Award
The IPWLS reserves the right to cancel any scholarship or aid awarded at any time if the applicant fails to meet the standards of academic progress, any other scholarship requirements, or falsifies information reported.
The IPLWS reserves the right to decline awarding a scholarship during any selection period if there are no eligible applicants or if the Scholarship Committee is unable to select a qualified recipient.
For more information, please contact:
Marie R. Fraley, Director
(401) 456-8496 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PRÉMIO EM ESTUDOS PORTUGUESES
The Prémio em Estudos Portugueses is awarded each year to a graduating senior who has distinguished himself/herself with outstanding academic achievement in Portuguese Studies at Rhode Island College. The successful recipient is nominated by the faculty of the Department of Modern Languages following a criteria established in collaboration with the donor of the prize.
Awarded at the College's Cap and Gown Convocation in May of the academic year, the prize consists of a $200 cash award and an engraved memento provided by the Institute.
2003 - Paula Vazão Schiavone
2004 - Lisa Andrade Almeida
2005 - Elisabete Soares
2006 - Orlando Ramos
2007 - Joquebede Sança
2009 - Margaret Craveiro
2010 - Jessica Trindade
2012 - Loureana Soares
2014 – Liana Viveiros
2015 - Christopher Barbosa