Institutional Review Board (IRB)
If you conduct research using human participants, Federal Law and College Policy mandate that participants be adequately protected from harm of any kind. This applies to all human participants in a study including whether or not they are members of the RIC community. Rhode Island College's Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a committee of faculty and staff members who are charged with the responsibility of reviewing research involving human participants to determine whether they meet Federal Guidelines regarding:
- The rights, welfare, and privacy of participants
- Whether the risks to participants are outweighed by the potential benefits of the knowledge gained
- Whether informed consent is obtained from participants and documented by appropriate methods
The Committee typically meets on the 3rd Friday of the month, although other dates are required to accommodate holiday and vacation breaks.
Applications must be completed and ready for review by the 1st of the month to be reviewed that same month. Please note that revisions are often needed before a proposal can be sent for review, so the application process should be started several weeks earlier to ensure that it is ready by the 1st of the month deadline. Click
here to go to the application forms.
The meeting dates for 2019-2020 are:
Sept 20, Oct 18, Nov 15, Dec 20, Feb 21, Mar 20, Apr 17 and May 15..
- Dr. Emily Cook, Chair (2018-2021)
- Dr. Jesse Capece, Prisoner Advocate and Social Work (2018-2021)
- Dr. Stephanie Downey Toledo, Central Falls School District (2019-2020)
- Dr. Andrea Dottolo, Psychology (2017-2020)
- Dr. Paul LaCava, Special Education (2019-2022)
- Dr. Paul Jacques, Management and Marketing (2017-2020)
- Dr. Kevin O'Connor, Unaffiliated member (2019-2020)
- Dr. Sylvia Ross, Nursing (2018-2021)
- Dr. Jason Sawyer, Health and Physical Education (2019-2022)
- Dr. Marissa Weiss, Student Success (2018-2021)