Join Now! Become a Scholar
Who is the L4L Scholar?
According to Merriam-Webster, scholarship is defined as "the character, qualities, activity, or attainments of an intelligent person." L4L considers all RIC students to be scholars. However, some students encounter uncommon challenges on their academic journeys. L4L seeks to recognize the extraordinary scholarship of those RIC students who meet and overcome the obstacles they encounter in achieving their academic goals and earning a college degree. We call those students, L4L Scholars.
As L4L Scholars work with their Navigators, together they set goals to address the areas of life that current research has shown to be important for student success, including:
- Academic needs
- Career needs
- Financial needs
- Social connections
The goals become a guide for the Navigators to identify in which areas Scholars might face challenges so they can be linked to resources. It can also be used as a resource for Scholars to use to guide conversations during academic advising sessions with their Faculty or Staff Advisors.
What can we help with?
- Support for First Year Students
- Connection to Financial Aid Counselor
- Navigating campus, blackboard, My.RIC and email
- Connection to your College Visions and College Crusades Advisor
- Time Management / Organization
- Balancing work and school
- Resources for Sophomores – Juniors
- Food and housing supports
- Social supports
- Connections to Career Development, Unity Center, Consulting Center, Disability Services Center, OASIS, Writing Center, etc.
- Exploring and connecting to financial supports
- Support for Seniors / Adult Learners
- Returning / Transfer Student resources
- Resources for students who are parents and veterans
- Partnership with Continuing Ed Programs
Connect to L4L
L4L Participation Form
If you are interested in becoming a Learning for Life Scholar, please fill out this form and return it to the L4L office located in Adams Library, Level 1. We will link you with a Navigator and/or you will meet with an L4L staff member. The purpose of the meeting is to talk about your strengths and challenges and to provide insight about how we can best assist you on your course to success.