All Faculty and Staff Email is now in Office 365. Do you need assistance?
M.A. in Mathematical Studies
The mission of the Master of Arts Program in Mathematical Studies at Rhode Island College is to provide students with a solid foundation in some of the major areas of mathematics, an appreciation for the structures and theories of advanced mathematics, and a deeper understanding of the role of mathematics in association with the real world. The program will help students develop quantitative and abstract reasoning and the ability to use mathematics as a computational and analytical tool. The department strives to produce graduates who exhibit knowledge, comprehension, and creativity in the practice of mathematics as they pursue a variety of career opportunities.
- Students will extend their undergraduate background to include graduate level mathematics in core areas.
- Students will utilize mathematical knowledge to solve problems and prove theorems.
- Students will be able to receive and convey graduate level mathematics.
- A completed application form accompanied by a fifty-dollar nonrefundable application fee.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate records.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of B (3.00 on a 4.00 scale) in undergraduate course work.
- A minimum of 30 credit hours of courses beyond precalculus mathematics.
- An official report of scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A plan of study approved by the advisor and appropriate dean.