Faculty Mentor Information
Interested in becoming a faculty member?
Contact Margarida Da Graça, Project Director, at email@example.com for more information
Our faculty mentors are the cornerstone to the success of the McNair Program and its scholars. Scholars will work closely with a faculty mentor to develop and enhance their research, academic, and professional skills in their preparation for graduate coursework. Scholars have the opportunity to identify a faculty mentor for their research, or McNair staff assist students in locating a faculty mentor.
Faculty Mentor commit to
- Guiding McNair scholars in the planning, designing and execution of a scholarly undergraduate research project
- Providing mentorship and individualized support to scholar(s) during the academic year (once a week) and Summer Research Internship (twice a week) to ensure the scholar is meeting the research project timeline
- Supervising and approval all aspects of the McNair Undergraduate Research Project (Phase 1-3) • Communicating with McNair staff on scholar research progress
- Communicating with McNair staff on scholar research progress
- Discussing career/educational goals assist scholars in the graduate school application process
- Attendance at McNair Monthly Meetings: To support your scholar, we hope to that you will attend at least one McNair Monthly Meeting during the academic year
Time & Effort Reporting
Faculty mentors are required to submit a time and effort report monthly for each McNair scholar detailing progress on the Undergraduate Research Project based on the U.S. Department of Education grant protocol
Faculty Mentors must certify scholar has successful completed tasks associated with each phase in order for scholars to be compensated appropriately. Once phase is accepted and approved, the faculty mentor submits approved documentation to McNair Project Director to process and disburse stipend.
Faculty mentors will generally receive one-credit load hour during the academic year for mentoring a McNair scholar, pending approval from the appropriate Dean or Department Chair. For the Summer, faculty are compensated for their time.
The McNair program serves students from all majors, so we recognize that below guidelines are a general outline, please know that the McNair program will rely on your discipline specific expertise to best define and supervise the research proposal process for your scholar.