Junior Nate Vigeant
WILLIMANTIC, CONN – Junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 4-for-4 with four runs scored and an RBI to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to a commanding, 10-0, win at Eastern Connecticut in a Little East Conference contest on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 10, Eastern Connecticut 0 (7 innings)
RIC (10-4, 1-0 LEC)
ECSU (6-6, 2-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RIC senior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI. Freshman designated hitter Stephen Andrews (Lincoln, RI) and sophomore left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI) each notched a pair of hits in the win for the Anchormen.
- Junior left fielder John Mesagno (Tappan, NY) was 2-for-3 in the loss for Eastern Connecticut
- Junior Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) picked up the win for RIC, throwing six scoreless innings with seven strikeouts.
- Junior Sam Gagnon (Andover, CT) took the loss for Eastern Connecticut, giving up two runs on three hits in one third innings of work.
- RIC jumped out to the early 2-0 lead when junior outfielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) scored on a passed ball and classmate third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) notched an RBI single. An RBI single from Vigeant in the second inning gave the Anchormen the 3-0 advantage.
- After an RBI single from Walsh in the fourth made it 4-0, RIC tallied two more in the fifth when freshman right fielder Charlie Amarante (Bristol, RI) drew a bases loaded walk and Coro followed with an RBI single to stake the team to the 6-0 advantage.
- Walsh's RBI single as part of a two-run sixth gave RIC the 8-0 lead and the Anchormen sealed the win with a pair of unearned runs in the seventh en route to the 10-0 victory.