RIC senior outfielder Tyler Calabro
Gorham, Maine – Senior outfielder Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, RI) went 3-for-4 as the No. 3-seeded Rhode Island College baseball team saw the 2019 season come to an end in a 3-1 loss to No. 1-seeded Southern Maine in game seven of the 2019 Little East Baseball Championship.
Southern Maine 3, Rhode Island College 1
Southern Maine (34-6)
Rhode Island College (26-16)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RIC opened the tourney with a 5-4 win over No. 4-seeded Eastern Connecticut on May 8, then lost to No. 2 seeded UMass Boston, 6-3, on May 9.
- Junior designated hitter Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) went 2-for-4, while sophomore left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI) went 1-for-2 with a run scored.
- Southern Maine junior pitcher Ben Lambert (Saco, ME) earned his ninth win (9-0). Lambert struck out seven and allowed 10 hits and two walks in 8.0 innings of work.
- USM senior reliever Henry Curran (South Portland, ME) picked up his second save of the year.
- Lambert worked his way out of a pair of bases loaded jams in the game to help keep the Huskies' tourney chances alive. Curran fired a 1-2-3 top of the ninth, getting a pair of ground outs and a pop up to get the save.
- Sophomores left fielder Sam Troiano (South Portland, ME) and catcher Jason Komulainen (Gorham, ME) and freshman designated hitter Arlo Pike (Buxton, ME) each had RBI for the Huskies in the win.
- Juniors shortstop Andrew Olszak (Danvers, MA) and third baseman Andrew Hillier (Bangor, ME) and senior second baseman Jake Dexter (Oakland, ME) each had two hits apiece. Hillier had the Huskies' lone extra base hit with a double in the first.
- Southern Maine got on the board early when Troiano knocked an RBI ground out to second base to score Hillier. USM went up 2-0 in the bottom of the second on Komulainen's two-out single to right center. With Lambert in control on the mound, the score remained unchanged through the fifth.
- In the top of the sixth, the Anchormen loaded the bases with no outs and seemed poised for a big inning. However, USM turned a double play cutting down the lead runner at home and the batter at first. With a runner at third, Lambert took care of the final better snagging a strikeout to end the inning.
- Pike gave the Huskies a 3-0 advantage in the home half of the sixth with an insurance run on a sacrifice fly to center.
- RIC took one run back in the seventh with an RBI ground out from junior third baseman Ryan Rotondo (Warwick, RI).
- The Anchormen threatened again in the eighth, loading the bases this time with one out, but Lambert again came back strong with a strikeout and a ground out.
- RIC junior starter Tyler Shemick (Foster, RI) took the loss (4-2).