Sophomore Joseph Coro
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Sophomore left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI) went 3-for-5 with a double, homer and an RBI as Rhode Island College earned its 20th win of the season in an 11-5 victory over Anna Maria at Pontarelli Field on Sunday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 11, Anna Maria 5
Rhode Island College (20-8)
Anna Maria (11-21)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior designated hitter Ryan Rotundo (Warwick, RI) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. He also hurled 1.1 innings of scoreless relief.
- Junior catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a pair of RBI, while classmate shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) also had a pair of hits and two RBI.
- Freshman shortstop Kosta Drosidis (Holden, MA) led the way for the AMCats, going 3-for-4 with a run scored, an RBI and a solo homer (6).
- Coro led off the bottom of the first with his second homer of the year, a solo shot to left field. Anna Maria took the lead, 2-1, in the third on an RBI single by sophomore designated hitter Noah Holland (Sandwich, MA) and an RBI groundout by sophomore third baseman Jake Crevier (Ware, MA).
- RIC broke the game open in the fifth inning, scoring five runs on six hits. Rotundo knocked in a pair with a two-run single in the frame.
- AMC pulled within a run, 6-5, with three runs in the seventh, highlighted by a Drosidis solo homer.
- The Anchormen blew the game open with a five-run seventh, capitalizing on four AMC errors. Feola knocked in two with a single.
- Senior starter Tyler Shemick (Foster, RI) earned the win (3-1) with four strikeouts in 6.2 innings of work. AMC senior starter Colin Pipkin (Peoria, AZ) suffered the loss (1-5), allowing just one earned run on nine hits in five innings of work.