Director of Athletics
|• Our sympathies go out to the family of Sherwin Kapstein, a RIC honorary doctoral recipient, student-athlete extraordinaire, and father of Jeremy Kapstein, assistant to the president of the Boston Red Sox. Sympathies as well to acclaimed artist Armand LaMontagne, also an honorary doctoral recipient, on the loss of his mother.|
• Our thoughts and prayers are with current wrestling student-athlete Rich Wapenyi and his family after the unexpected passing of his father.
• Congratulations to Kayla Flemming who has been selected as the 2009 Helen Murphy award winner, which is given annually to RIC’s top female student-athlete. Kayla is an outstanding nursing student, and a standout in soccer, indoor and outdoor track. She is a three-time NCAA Championship qualifier and an All-American.
• Congratulations to last year’s softball standout Christie Lotti who was chosen by the Rhode Island Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women as one of its two outstanding sports stories of the year.
• Congratulations also to Bobby Bailey, Stephanie Bucci, Eric Fama, Kayla Fleming, Tyla Martin, Mike Martini, Melanie Neece, Amanda Perry, Josh Silva and Kevin Sutherland, all of who, will be honored by Speaker of the House William Murphy as the College’s top 10 scholar-athletes at a State House ceremony on Monday, April 27. Also, at this ceremony, James White of Half Moon Bay, Calif., an Athletic Hall of Famer, former baseball and soccer standout, will be honored by the speaker as Rhode Island College’s outstanding athletic alumnus.
• It was great to be in attendance in Detroit recently when the National Association of Basketball Coaches honored RIC men’s basketball head coach Bob Walsh, his coaches and his 2009 regular season conference champions. Great job!
• The women’s outdoor track team has been extremely hot as of late as it heads towards the conference and alliance championship where they are ranked as one of the top teams. Good luck, ladies!
• The women’s softball team continues its winning ways and are currently in first place going into the very competitive final week of the season. We’re cheering for you, ladies.
• Remember two important events that support athletics – and most importantly student-athletes – are scheduled for this summer. The ninth annual Anchor Club Golf Tournament will be held On Monday, July 13, and the fourth annual Endless Summer Party will be held on Saturday, July 18. Two great events that benefit student-athletes, for more details contact the Athletic Department at (401) 456-8007 or visit our website at www.goanchormen.com.