Across the Athletic Director’s Desk
Director of Athletics
|• The women’s basketball team is off to its greatest start in many a year. The ladies won the Salem State Invitational this past weekend behind the outstanding play of Rachael Riley. Congratulations to Coach Reilly and his ladies.|
• A new weekly twist to highlighting team accomplishments will be the A.D.’s Ronzio Pizza Team of the Week. Each week I will select a team of the week based on their accomplishments of the past week. For its outstanding week, the women’s basketball team will be the first team of the week. Congratulations and enjoy those pizzas!
• Our athletic family would like to extend our deepest sympathy to the families of RIC Hall of Famers Larry Gibson and Bob Berlam. Larry lost his mother several weeks ago and Bob lost his brother around the same time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
• The wrestling team had a great showing at the Roger Williams Invitational, where they finished fourth and were without two of their top performers. Good luck to Coach Jones and his grapplers. To those living in the Ft. Lauderdale area: Coach Jones and the Anchormen will be wrestling down there between Christmas and New Year’s.
• Once again the Athletic Department will be hosting the Pawtuxet Valley Chorus in a holiday concert to benefit a number of campus organizations and local charities. The event will be held on Friday, Dec. 18, at the Murray Center. For more details, visit our website or call (401) 456-8007.
• I want to welcome aboard our two new gymnastics coaches, head coach Tristan Poirier and assistant coach Jackie Ventre.
• Best of luck to the indoor track and field programs as they start their campaigns with practices and open up their competitive schedule in a couple of weeks.
• Congratulations to former student-athletes James Thomas III (basketball) and Christopher O’Conners (baseball) on their appointment to the Rhode Island State Police.
• During this Thanksgiving week I want to thank all of the people who make this program successful – the administration, staff, alums, donors, parents and most of all, student-athletes for all of your efforts.
• Reminder if you want to nominate someone for the Athletic Hall of Fame, now is the time. Information can be found on the website or by contacting Art Pontarelli at (401) 456-8863.