Across the Athletic Director’s Desk
Director of Athletics
|• First, congratulations to the women’s softball team on being recognized as the recipient of the 2009 Vin Cullen Small College Award by Words Unlimited, the Rhode Island Sport’s Writers Association, and for being ranked No. 18 in the nation by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) and No. 1 in the Little East Conference in each respective organization's preseason poll..|
• We want to extend our deepest sympathies to athletic alum Dick Margarian '62 on the loss of his sister; to alum and former student-community government president Bill Dorry on the loss of his brother; and to the family of alum Bernie Singleton '63.
• I also want to extend deepest sympathies to alum Marianne Needham '59 on the loss of her son, and to alum and CCRI athletic director Joe Pavone on the loss of his son. You are both in our prayers.
• We want to send speedy recovery wishes to alum Wileen Coyne '55 who recently had surgery and was hospitalized in Florida. Wileen has been a terrific alum in supporting the college in many ways, including hosting events in Florida. Get well soon!
• Congratulations to G. Gail Davis '60, coordinator of student-athlete support, on her selection as the 2010 Wheeler Community Spirit Award to be presented at a ceremony on Feb. 24. Great job, Gail!
• I had a great few days visiting alums in Florida, and I want to thank all of them for taking time out of their busy schedules to meet with us and invite us into their homes.
• Congratulations to donor and supporter Dave Hanson on being named the 2010 National Service Award Winner by the National Interscholastic Swim Coaches Association. Dave will receive his award in conjunction with the NCAA Division I Championship in Columbus, Ohio, on March 27. Additionally, Dave and his Hendricken swim team just won their 24th state championship, and 21st in a row. Great job, Dave!
• The renovation plans for the college’s Recreation Center continue at a rapid pace. The design is nearing its final stage and we are still on track to start construction this summer.
• As we near the final weeks of the winter sports seasons, the women’s basketball team is playing great, the men’s team is in first place, the wrestling team will be near the top if it can get healthy, and the gymnastics and track teams are getting ready for March championships.
• In January, we kicked off the new “Inside RIC Athletics” show and to date the feedback and number of people watching the show has been fantastic. The show airs each Monday and then is archived. For the very latest in men’s and women’s athletic action, check out goanchormen.com!
• Giant kudos to wrestling alum J. Reggie Roberts on being named a teacher of the year for the state of California. The same extraordinary leadership skills he displayed as a wrestler and captain for the Anchormen are now on display in his classroom. They say California is larger than a lot of countries, so this is one big honor. Congrats!