link: RIC Home link: Sesquicentennial Home link: RIC Home

Then and Now Series

RIC Entrance: Then and Now

Mt. Pleasant Avenue entrance

Our first in this series is the Mt. Pleasant Avenue entrance to the campus as it looked from 1958 to 1960 (top photo). In 1958, when the College moved from downtown Providence to Mount Pleasant, it retained the name Rhode Island College of Education. In 1960 the name was shortened to Rhode Island College. Four years later, the Class of 1964, aided by donations from classes of 1911, 1936, 1944 and 1945, spearheaded the installation of a new entrance marker (seen in the "Now" photo), a concrete representation of an open book. Last year the entrance was further enhanced with stone walls embedded with the College's name on both sides of the entrance – and metal fencing that encloses the "Sesquicentennial Oak," the College's symbol for the 150th anniversary.


Admissions Office: Then and Now

RIC Admissions Office

In 1968 there were three admissions officers in the RIC Admissions Office. All were graduates of the College. Seen above, they are (from left) Claire Giannamore '64, M, '75; John Foley '67, M '70; and Frank Bucci '54, M '58, the director. At that time there were 2,850 undergraduates and 60 graduate students at the College and 797 freshmen were admitted in September. (File photo)

Today there are seven admission officers and the College's total enrollment is 8,758, with 1,014 freshmen and 603 transfer students admitted this year. As luck would have it, every member of the current staff is also a graduate of the College. They are (seen above, from bottom to top) Holly Shadoian '73 M '75, director; Deborah Johnson '80, M '94; Deborah-Jane Suggs '90, M '02; Jason Anthony '99; Greta Guilbault '00; Joanne DiRaimo '01; and Princess Sirleaf Bomba '89, M '96. (What's News photo by Gordon E. Rowley)


RIC Library: Then and Now

Rhode Island College library

Then: This is the Rhode Island College library circa 1958 - when it was brand new and contained approximately 40,000 volumes but no computers, of course. The library was said to be able to accommodate 25 percent of the student body, which numbered 700. The professional staff numbered three. It was in what is now the space occupied by the art department's painting studios. In the late 1950s, however, the building was known as the Student Center and, in addition to the library, it contained the bookstore, the cafeteria, and the men's and women's lounges. (File photo)

Now: This is the electronic classroom of the current Adams Library, built in 1963. The present library has 642,000 volumes, 973,000 "microforms," subscriptions to 1,408 periodicals, more than 70 computers (including 30 loaner laptops), and a wireless network to which patrons can connect their own computers. The professional staff numbers 27. (What's News photo by Gordon E. Rowley)


top of page