Summer Writing Camp
July 9th-20th, 2018
The RIWP Summer Writing Camp takes place on July 9-20, M-F, from 9:00 to 12:00 in the Henry Barnard School at Rhode Island College.
Participants will receive more detailed information about class locations and instructors after registration period has ended in late June.
The Writing Camp is a program designed for students in grades K-12 who enjoy writing. Staffed by experienced local educators, our camp helps students develop their writing as they share their work in a lively, interactive, and supportive community.
Camp features include:
- Writing exercises designed to jumpstart thinking and improve each writer’s craft
- Exploration of the work of published authors to use as models in a variety of genres
- Freedom to explore individual writing interests
- Opportunities to collaborate with instructors and peers and to receive constructive feedback for revision
- A space for students to see themselves as writers with individual voices
At the end of the program, each participant will publish a self-selected piece in a compilation of student writing. All students will receive a copy of their group’s anthology.
The Summer Institute is a 3 week immersive professional development experience for K-16 teachers of all content areas who care about writing and the teaching of writing. This year's theme is "Personal, Digital, Political: Inquiry and Inspiration for Teachers of Writing." Together, we'll explore critical and progressive theories of teaching writing in the analog and digital realms, engage in inquiry, and develop new pedagogical skills and practices. Nominate a colleague or