NOTICE : Dec. 26 and Jan. 2 - Holiday office closures. Click for details.
Bachelor of Social Work Program
|S. Scott Mueller|
About the ProgramSocial work majors will be required to complete their first semester of fieldwork during the spring semester of their junior year. They are also required to take Social Work 436 (minimum of 4 credit hours) in the fall semester of the senior year and Social Work 437 (minimum of 4 credit hours) in the spring semester. One credit hour is granted for every four hours of fieldwork. Additional time may be spent in placement by petitioning the director of field education.
- Enrollment in Social Work 326, completing all course prerequisites.
- A completed application form during the first semester of the junior year, before enrolling in Social Work 327.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 at the College level and a minimum GPA of 2.67 in 300-level social work courses.
- Evidence of personal qualities considered essential to professional social work practice, such as responsiveness and sensitivity in relationships, values compatible with the values of the social work profession, the ability to understand and carry out the ethical obligations of a social worker, commitment to improving social conditions, and the ability to function collectively with others.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 at the College level and a minimum GPA of 2.67 in all 300-level social work courses. No student will be allowed to enter a senior year field placement (Social Work 436) if their GPA falls below these standards.
- Students who receive an F in any required social work course or a C- or less in any two required social work courses will be dismissed from the major. A copy of the Bachelor of Social Work Academic Standing Policy, including appeal procedures, is distributed to students in the department.