Warren L. Miller, Jr., Ph.D., MSW, LICSW, SAP, BCD
Building 9, Rm 123
Ph.D. Social Work, Walden University, Barbara Solomon School of Social Work, Minneapolis, MN,
May 2018 DISSERTATION:
Effects of Stigma on the Use of Spirituality by Older Black Men Living with HIV
Committee Members: Scott Hershberger, Ph.D. (Chair), Douglas Crews, Ph.D., MSW, Alice Yick, Ph.D., MSW
Master of Social Work, Howard University, Washington, D.C.,
Bachelor of Social Work, Lamar University, Beaumont, TX,
Assistant Professor (Tenure-track), Rhode Island College School of Social Work, Providence, RI, 2018-Present
Teach Advanced Social Work Practice, Generalist Social Work Practice, and Introduction to Social Work courses of 15 to 30 BSW students.
Adjunct Faculty, Howard University School of Social Work, Washington, D.C., 2017-2018
Taught clinical education seminars for field education to MSW students.
Graduate/Research/Teaching Assistant, Howard University School of Social Work, Washington, D.C.,
Taught Human Behavior in the Social Environment class of 15 to 25 graduate MSW students.
- Social Work Practice
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment
- Research Methods
- Field Education Seminar
- Introduction to Social Work
- Human Sexuality
- Social Work supervision
- Generalist Social Work Practice
Professional and Academic Service
- Boston University’s Faculty Education in Addiction Training (FEAT) Fellow, 2019
- Member, Academic Standing Committee, Rhode Island College School of Social Work, 2019-Present
- Member, Behavioral Health Engagement Team, Rhode Island College, 2019-Present
- Member, Search Committee, Rhode Island College School of Social Work, 2019
- Member, HOPE TEAM, Rhode Island College, 2019-Present
- Member, Advisory Committee, Rhode Island College School of Social Work, 2019-Present
- Member, Dialogue on Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Rhode Island College, 2018-Present
- Ad-hoc Reviewer, AIDS Care Journal, 2018 – Present
- Ad-hoc Reviewer, Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 2018 - Present
- Treasurer, Howard University School of Social Work Alumni Association, 2016 – 2018
- Seminar Coordinator and Planning Member, Big Brothas’ Network Gay and Bisexual Annual Pride, Irvington, NJ. 2012-Present
Peer Reviewed Publications
Miller, W. L. (2019). Knowledge and attitudes on the use of telemental health technology among social work students. Manuscript in preparation.
Miller, W. L. (2019). Experiences of HIV stigma and spirituality of older black men living with HIV.
Journal of Social Service Research. Retrieved from
Miller, W. & Fagen, J. (2008). Definitions and interpretations of spirituality in people living with HIV/AIDS in southeast Texas.
Lamar University Electronic Journal of Student Research, 8, 1-26.
Miller, W. (2012). Transgender individuals: Can we help?
Presentations, Panel Discussions, and Workshops
- Social Work Supervision: Affirming Models with the LGBTQI Supervisee. Accepted presentation for the CSWE APM., Denver, CO.
- Intersectionality of Age, Race, Gender, Health, and Sexual Minority Status: Addressing Experiences of Stigma with Aging Black Gay Men Living with HIV. 2019 National Conference on Social Work and HIV/AIDS, Washington, D.C.,
- Aging with HIV: Experiences of Stigma and Spirituality. 2019 LGBT Elders in an Ever-Changing World Conference, Salem State University, Salem, MA.
- The Application of Telemental Health in Social Work. Rhode Island College School of Social Work Field Education CEU Workshop. Providence, RI.
- Understanding the Experiences of HIV Stigma on the Use of Spirituality of Older Black MSM Living with HIV: A Phenomenological Study. Society of Social Work Research, San Francisco, CA.
- HIV Stigma on the use of Spirituality of Older Black MSM Living with HIV.
Presentation for the CSWE APM., Orlando, FL.
- HIV Stigma and Spirituality: What is the connection?
Accepted Presentation for the Black Doctoral Network Conference., Charlotte, NC.
- Exploring Experiences of HIV and Spirituality with Black MSM.
Accepted presentation for the United States Conference on AIDS. Orlando, FL.
- Affirming Practices and Models with the LGBTQI Supervisee. Presenter for the National Association of Social Workers National Conference. Washington, D.C.,
- HIV Stigma on the Spirituality of Older Black MSM Living with HIV. Presenter for the National Association of Social Workers National Conference. Washington, D.C.,
- Experiences of HIV Stigma on Spirituality of Older Black MSM Living with HIV. Dissertation Proposal Defense. College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Walden
University, Minneapolis, MN,
- Confronting the Crisis: Black MSM and HIV in Washington, D.C. Presented for Pennsylvania/Mid-Atlantic AIDS Education and Training Center at Howard University Webinar, Washington, D.C.,
- Miller, W & Frierson, D.
Transgender Individuals: Can We Help? CSWE APM in Atlanta, Ga. (October 2011).
Invited Presentations, Panel Discussion and Workshops
- HIV/AIDS and Aging - Neurocognitive Effects, Stigma and the LGBTQI+ Population MATEC/University of Cincinnati: Intersectionality of Age, Race, Gender, Health, and Sexual Minority Status. Invited Speaker. June 2019.
- Negative Effects of Bias, Stereotyping and Microaggressions. Rhode Island College School of Social Work. Providence, RI. February 2019
- Panelist for The George Washington University LGBT Healthcare Provider and Community Organization Panel on best-practices and health outcomes for the LGBTQ populations. Washington,
The Ethical Use of Tele-therapy. Presenter for Howard University School of Social Work Ethics Training. Washington, D.C.
- Presenter and Panelist for Howard University School of Social Work Conference, Washington, D.C.:
Addressing Black Men’s Health: The Time is Now Conference. HIV/AIDS and African Americans
Highlights of Professional Experience
Contractor, E-Home Behavioral Care, Orlando, FL
Adult Psychotherapist II | Kaiser
Permanente,Upper Marlboro, MD
February 2016- July 2018
GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL, Washington, DC
January 2013- March 2016
Behavioral Health Manager
June 2015- March 2016
Psychiatric Social work supervisor
November 2014 – June 2015
Lead Psychiatric Social Worker
January 2013 to November 2014
Clinical Social Worker & Ryan White Program Specialist
Us Helping Us, People into Living, Washington, DC
2011 to 2015
Lecturer, “Healthcare and Social Work Practice,”
Howard University (2016)
Catholic Charities, Washington, DC (2010-2012)
Program Manager for Housing People Living with HIV/AID, Transgender Health Empowerment, Inc. (2009-2011)
Co-Principal Investigator, Rhode Island Integrated Substance and Opioid Use Intervention Education Program, HRSA Opioid Workforce Expansion Program (OWEP) Professionals Grant,
Amount Requested: $750,000. Pending.
Co-Principal Investigator with Dr. Jayashree Nimmagadda, RI Foundation Behavioral Health Fund, Funded by RI Foundation,
2019-2022, Amount Awarded: $ 600,000.00
Principal Investigator, RICSSW Training Clinic without Walls training of health profession students, Faculty Development Research Grant Award, Rhode Island College,
2018-2019, Amount: $ 3,000.00
Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act 2009, Part B Treatment Adherence Program. This grant was completed and received a budget of $250,000.
Minority AIDS Council (MAC AIDS), 2010 MAC AIDS Fund Grant for HIV/AIDS supportive services for people living with HIV/AIDS in supportive housing. Funds requested: $50,000. Awarded: $25,000 to Transgender Health Empowerment, Inc.
Licensure and Certifications
- Board Certified Diplomate (BCD) in Clinical Social Work #60374
- LICSW #LC50079618 in Washington, DC Recertification Date:
- LCSW-C #21496 in Maryland, Recertification Date:
- LCSW #0904009368 in Virginia, Recertification Date:
- LICSW ##ISW02855 in Rhode Island, Recertification Date:
- U.S. DOT Alcohol and Drug Substance Abuse Professional(SAP), #173229, Recertification Date:
- Blackboard Certification
- Distance Learning Certification
- Council of Social Work Education Member (CSWE)
- National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)
- Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR)
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)