NOTICE : Parking validation stickers for RIC community available at Campus Police office. Click for details.
|Building 9 (SSW) |
|Dean||October 2010 to present|
|Interim Dean||April 2008 to October 2010|
|Professor and MSW Department Chair||July 2007 to April 2008|
|Associate Professor||July 2004 to June 2007|
|Ph.D. University of Kansas||August 1996|
|MSW University of Kansas School of Social Work||May 1980|
|BA Boston University, Sociology||May 1965|
Courses TaughtSWRK 609 Adv Professional Develop I
SWRK 610 Adv Professional Develop II
SWRK 614 Advanced Policy Practice
SWRK 615 Leadership for Progressive Chg
SWRK 642 Integrative Project
SWRK 645 Needs Assessment & Program Evaluation I
SWRK 680 Workshop:
Currently Teachingpolicy, research, field seminar, integrative project
Areas of Expertisepublic systems social services, leadership and management, child care, welfare and welfare reform, program evaluation and research methods
Areas of InterestOne of my interests lies in organizations and in how they function. I teach social policy, the school’s integrative project course, and data analysis. My interests are varied. They include a longstanding need to understand about organizations in the public sector and the ways they affect staff and program participants. I want to understand how employees in public social service organizations behave and feel when change occurs. I want to know how these systems and changes in policy, structure, and programs affect clients and their families. I also am very interested in issues of diversity. In particular, I want to understand how people in our culture learn about different-ness, how we perceive it, and how we deal with it. My particular interest in different-ness relates to the ways in which our culture deals with sexual orientation. More specifically, I want to understand how we view lesbians as well as how lesbians manage in the dominant culture.
- Ryan, S., Pearlmutter, S., & Groza, V. (2004). Coming out of the closet: Opening agencies to gay and lesbian adoptive parents. Social Work, 49.
- Pearlmutter, S., & Bartle, E. (2003). Participants’ perceptions of the child care subsidy system. Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare, 30.
- Pearlmutter, S. (2003). Listening to clients: A research strategy for influencing public policy. The Social Policy Journal, 1, 43-62.
- Pearlmutter, S. (2002). Achieving political practice: Integrating individual need and social action. Journal of Progressive Human Services, 13, 31-52.
- Pearlmutter, S. (2000). Welfare reform: Considering next steps. Journal of Applied Social Sciences, 24, i-iii.
- Pearlmutter, S., & Bartle, E. (2000). Supporting the move from welfare to work: What women say. Affilia,15, 153-172.
- Pearlmutter, S. (1999). Lesbian and gay single parent families. In S. Tebb & C. Schmitz (Eds.), Diversity in single parent families: Working from strengths. Milwaukee, WI: Families International, Inc.
- Pearlmutter, S. (1998). Self-efficacy and organizational change leadership. Administration in Social Work, 22, 23-38.
- Pearlmutter, S., & Johnson, R. (1996). Case management in public welfare. In C. Austin (Ed.), Perspectives on case management practice. Milwaukee, WI: Families International Inc.
- Gowdy, E., & Pearlmutter, S. (1994). Economic self-sufficiency is a road I’m on: The results of focus group research with women. In L. V. Davis (Ed.), Building on women’s strengths: A social work agenda for the twenty-first century (pp. 81-113). Binghamton, NY: Haworth Press.
- Gowdy, E., & Pearlmutter, S. (1993). Economic self-sufficiency: It’s not just money. Affilia, 8(4), 368-387.
- Pearlmutter, S. (1992). Resource management. In C. Rapp, & J. Poertner (Eds.), Social administration: A client-centered approach (pp. 197-243). White Plains, NY: Longman Publications.
- Treasurer, Society for Social Work and Research, 2004 – present.
- Program Chair, Annual Conference of the National Association for Welfare Research and Statistics, 1998 – 1999, 2002-2003.
- Board Member, National Association for Welfare Research and Statistics, 1998 - 2004.
- Board member and chair, Program committee, Heights Parent Center (1998 – 2002).
- Consultant to the Board of Directors, Human Rights Project (1991 - 1994).
- Vice-president, Board of Directors, Good Samaritan Project (1990 - 1992).
- President, Agency Executives Association of Greater Kansas City (1987 - 1989).