Points of Pride
As the hub of the College for all the members of the community the Student Union is more than the building, but also and organization and a program which complements the academic experience and contributes to student success. In addition to serving as a central gathering place, the Student Union provides activities, services, support outside the classroom that compliments the academic experience.
There are many accomplishments we are proud of, that include the following:
- Recent renovations to the Café, include floor replacement, paint, soft seating, high top tables and chairs, coffee tables, table base replacement, microwave and cart, large screen TV monitor, updated self-serve computer area, designer clock, window signage/window vinyl decals, neon Cafe sign, charging station, copy machine and bookcase with games and reading materials and revamped logo and branding concept.
- Newly established NIC fraternity, Phi Mu Delta, successfully recruited 14 new members into their colony in Fall 2014, adding to the estimated 120 RIC students currently active in campus fraternity and sorority life. As of spring 2014, each chapters’ GPA’s exceeded the all-campus GPA averages. Since 2011, there has been a 40% increase of Greek membership over the past three academic years.
- Student Activities hosts nationally recognized celebrities that both entertain and educate our student body. Names include Terri Coates (Clinical Editor of the BBC TV series, Call the Midwife), Kate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live), Chris Herron (former professional basketball player who played in the NBA), Gabriel Iglesias (aka. Fluffy) (comedian), Dave Coulier (Comedian), Mike Henry (Family Guy) and others.
- Since 2009, the Student Leadership Awards program has recognized outstanding contributions of Rhode Island College students who have demonstrated leadership potential both on and off campus, celebrating students who display good character, respect, dignity, inclusiveness, professionalism, and compassion.
- For spring 2015, Student Union initiated a collaboration with Learning for Life to create the ON the SPOT Campus Resources program series, engaging 8 campus departments to the Student Union lobby to inform students about their services in a centralized, casual environment.
- Student organizations received distinctive recognition for their recent efforts:
- American Marketing Association received a record four awards at the 2012 Annual AMA International Collegiate Conference for outstanding communications, membership and chapter planning. The chapter also received second place for its National AMA Saves Lives campaign video
- RIC Equestrian Team recently won the RI Adult Mini Medal Championship, placed 2nd in the RI Adult Mini Medal Stake and 6th in the competitive RI Adult Medal Final and.
- The Student Union sustainability efforts included installing a Hydration Stations for bottle refills, changed recycle bins to accommodate new mixed recycling, and streamlined student organizing office printing to centralized, shared copy machine.
- Student Activities collaborate with Career Development Center to host 1st Annual Community Service Fair in Spring 2015, featuring more than 23 local service-orientate organizations listed in Destinations.