Skip Repetitive Navigation Links


Checklist for Getting Started

Adobe PDF Veterans Checklist – Quick Print

Student Veterans are encouraged to make an appointment or stop by the VRC or VSOC offices to review the steps outlined below and ensure a smooth transition to higher education.

Step 1: Activate Benefits & Apply for Admission

Step 2: Enrollment & Certification of Benefits

  • Once officially enrolled at RIC, all PBA students should contact the PBA advisor in the Office of Academic Support and Information Services (OASIS) at 401-456-8083 to complete writing and math placement testing. All PBA and Transfer students will then be notified of a mandatory orientation to schedule classes.
  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to RIC's VA Certifying Official. This letter from VA, Buffalo, NY verifies your eligibility for the GI Bill®. Request a copy from the VA by calling 888-442-4551 or "Submit a Question" on the GI Bill® website at Outside Link

Step 3: Financial Aid

Step 4: Maintain Verification

  • Verify your attendance every month with Chapters 30, 1606, 1607. Contact the VA by phone (877) 823-2378 or online at Outside Link
  • Contact RIC's VA Certifying Official immediately if there are any changes in your enrollment status, including adding courses, dropping courses, withdrawing or receiving incomplete grades to not incur personal charges
    • Chapters 30, 1606, or 1607 pay tuition up front (Ch33 and Ch31 do not)
    • Guard and Reserve Members - STAP or STEP waivers must be submitted to the Bursar's Office. ​​​​​​​​​​

Page last updated: October 31, 2018