Checklist for Getting Started
Veterans Checklist – Quick Print
Student Veterans are encouraged to make an appointment or stop by the VRC or VSOC offices to review the steps outlined below and ensure a smooth transition to higher education.
Step 1: Activate Benefits & Apply for Admission
- Complete the application:
Education Benefits [VA Form 22-1990] at
www.ebenefits.va.gov/ to activate benefits. Print a completed copy for your records.
NOTE: If you have used VA education benefits at another institution, complete [VA Form 22-1995] to indicate the change in schools.
- Apply for admission to RIC using the
Common Application or
https://apply.commonapp.org/Login. Many veterans will apply either through:
- Send all official transcripts from the following sources to: RIC Admissions, 600 Mount Pleasant Avenue, Providence, RI 02908
- Contact Admissions to have any previous
military training evaluated for college credit: Student Veterans will be awarded a
maximum of 4 traditional credits for standard military training time. Additional credits can be awarded for upper level baccalaureate courses OR credits from CCAR (Air Force).
Step 2: Enrollment & Certification of Benefits
- Once officially enrolled at RIC, all
PBA students should contact the PBA advisor in the Office of Academic Support and Information Services (OASIS) at 401-456-8083 to complete writing and math placement testing. All
PBA and Transfer students will then be notified of a mandatory orientation to schedule classes.
- Submit a copy of your
Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to RIC's VA Certifying Official. This letter from VA, Buffalo, NY verifies your eligibility for the GI Bill®. Request a copy from the VA by calling 888-442-4551 or "Submit a Question" on the GI Bill® website at
Step 3: Financial Aid
Step 4: Maintain Verification
- Verify your attendance every month with Chapters 30, 1606, 1607. Contact the VA by phone (877) 823-2378 or online at
- Contact RIC's VA Certifying Official immediately if there are any changes in your enrollment status, including adding courses, dropping courses, withdrawing or receiving incomplete grades to not incur personal charges
- Chapters 30, 1606, or 1607
pay tuition up front (Ch33 and Ch31 do not)
Guard and Reserve Members - STAP or STEP waivers must be submitted to the Bursar's Office.