Scholarship Opportunities to Study Abroad
As a first step in your search for funding, visit: http://www.studyabroadfunding.org/. They have a great database and search engine for scholarships that are tied to specific countries, subjects or fields of study, and several other categories.
- Funding for Undergraduates According to Specific Criteria
- Scholarships Available to Participants in Specific Programs
- Funding for Graduate Study according to Specific Criteria
Funding for Undergraduates According to Specific Criteria
Africa South of the Sahara Grants and Fellowships
- A compilation of study abroad funding resources, especially for Africans or U.S. nationals studying in Africa.
Ashley Soulé Conroy Foundation
- Scholarship of $2,500 to qualified students for travel and study abroad, based on merit, personal qualities, and/or financial needs.
Association for Asian Studies Grants and Fellowships
- An extensive list of funding for study in Asia.
Atlas Shrugged Essay Contest
- Annual Essay Contest on Ayn Rand.
- Essay must be 800 – 1600 words.
AWC in Stockholm Scholarship
- Scholarship based on academic excellence and commitment to improving humankind.
- Awarded as a stipend to assist in covering expenses incurred while studying in Sweden.
Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin American, and the Middle East.
- Boren Scholars represent a variety of academic backgrounds, but all are interested in studying less commonly taught languages, including but not limited to Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Swahili.
Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan
- More than 100 scholarships for students studying in Japan.
British Council Fund
- Scholarships for undergraduate and graduate study in the UK.
- Funding for undergraduates planning to study in Asia.
- Funding for students studying in France.
Fund for Education Abroad (FEA)
- The FEA awards scholarships of up to $5,000 to support undergraduate students planning to participate in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs of 4 weeks or longer.
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Funding for all levels of study in Germany.
Gilman Award – The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Competition for awards for study abroad, for US citizen students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university. Selected by competition, recipients are awarded up to $5,000 to defray the costs associated with studying abroad.
Go Overseas Scholarships
- Scholarships up to $1,000 are available to students currently enrolled in, or in the process of applying to, study abroad programs.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Teach Abroad Scholarship
- Volunteer Teach Abroad Scholarship
Golden Key Study Abroad Scholarships
- Those eligible are undergraduate Gold Key members who are currently enrolled in a study abroad program or will be enrolled the academic year immediately following the granting of the award.
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
- Scholarship opportunities for students studying in Japan.
Italian American and Italian Language Scholarships
- For U.S. citizens of Italian descent in their junior or senior year of undergraduate or graduate study at a four-year, accredited academic institution.
- Scholarship for studying Polish in Poland for a year or semester.
Michael P. Metcalf Memorial Award
- The fund provides grants to college students to subsidize experiences intended to broaden their perspective and enhance personal growth, including travel abroad.
Morgan Stanley Dean Witter Japan Scholarship
- Morgan Stanley will award two $7,500 scholarships to US students who will be studying in Japan for the academic year.
New England-China Scholarship Program
- Funding for tuition and fees for up to one year abroad in China, studying at one of 49 eligible institutions. Open to undergraduate and graduate students from New England colleges and universities (public or independent).
Scholarships Available To Participants in Specific Programs
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
- Each year, more than $600,000 in scholarships will be given to summer and semester students who submit application materials demonstrating high academic achievement. http://www.aifsabroad.com/scholarships.asp#
- The API scholarship offers awards that range from $250 to $1,000 per session. Fall, Spring, Academic Year and Summer students are eligible to apply.
AustraLearn Scholarship Program
- Scholarships in varying amounts are available for AustraLearn participants.
CEA Semester, Year, and Summer Abroad Scholarships
- Multiple CEA scholarships are awarded to CEA students based on GPA and a short written essay. Scholarship categories include Business, Language, Liberal Arts & Sciences, Arts, and more.
Center for Cross-Cultural Study Merit Scholarship
- Study in Argentina or Spain.
CIEE - Council on International Educational Exchange
- CIEE program participants demonstrating need and academic merit.
CIS Abroad Scholarships
- CIS offers several types of scholarships as well as financial aid counseling. Its newest "Early Bird Scholarship" provides$300 for semester programs and $150 for summer programs to applicants who complete the application process early.
- Six $1,000 scholarships per semester on any program offered by a DiversityAbroad.com member organization. African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic/Latino and Native-American students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA), Butler University
- IFSA- Butler Scholarships
- Any student who applies for an IFSA-Butler program may apply for a scholarship. General scholarship awards are $500 for summer programs, $1,500 for semester programs and $2,500 for full year programs.
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) Scholarship Program
- For study in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia.
- TEAN awards scholarships, most ranging from $500 - $1,000, to qualified program participants in categories including need-based, merit-based and travel grants.
Funding For Graduate Study According To Specific Criteria
- Fellowships for dissertation writing, postdoctoral research leaves, and grants for summer/short-term research
- Fellowships available in the arts and humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF)
- Fellowships and grants to individuals to pursue research or advanced study in one or more Scandinavian country for up to one year. Awards are made in all fields.
American School of Classical Studies in Athens
- Scholarships for study in Greece.
Belgian American Educational Foundation
- Fellowships for graduate study or research in Belgium.
Blakemore Freeman Fellowships
- Awarded for one year of advanced level language study in East or Southeast Asia in approved language programs.
- For college graduates pursuing an academic, professional, or business career that involves the regular use of a modern East or Southeast Asian language.
- Provides up to $30,000 to U.S. graduate students to add an important international and language component to their graduate education through specialization in area study, language study, or increased language proficiency. Boren Fellowships support study and research in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interest, including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin American, and the Middle East. http://www.borenawards.org/boren_fellowship
Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
- For outstanding students in the world to pursue their PhD degree programs in Hong Kong's institutions.
Mitchell Scholars Program - US-Ireland Alliance
- One year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. http://www.us-irelandalliance.org/content/...