The Unity Center
February is African American History Month.
The national theme is
The Crisis in Black Education.
Click here for the schedule of events.
- “In a global economy where the most valuable skill you can sell is your knowledge, a good education is no longer just a pathway to opportunity--it is a prerequisite.
And yet, we have one of the highest high school dropout rates of any industrialized nation.“ –Barack Obama
The Unity Center is the Rhode Island College multicultural center. Its mission is to promote the accessibility of educational services and the opportunity for excellence to all students through collaborative programming among its student affiliates, faculty, staff and the wider community. The Center further seeks to enhance cultural awareness by providing a safe forum for exploring issues pertaining to diversity, equity and inclusion and to assist students in becoming informed, productive citizens of the world.
- Engage students in meaningful dialogue about their academic, social and personal experiences
- Challenge the stereotypes of racism, sexism, homophobia, classism and other forms of oppression
- Provide support services for students in underrepresented and/or protected classes.
- Plan & develop multicultural programming for the campus community
- Assist student organizations in multicultural programming
- Foster responsible citizenry through community service and service learning
- Promote students' global awareness by responding to current events.
Hours during the academic year:
|Monday||8:30 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Tuesday||8:30 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Wednesday||8:30 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Thursday||8:30 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Friday||8:30 AM – 4:30 PM|