How to request a course for WebCT
Requesting courses: Faculty can now request a WebCT component for their classes through RIConnect. The classes that you've selected will be created for you the next day - students will become automatically populated 4 days before the semester starts. You can choose any semester that has officially been opened for registration.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Classes can only be created if they are officially in your RIConnect roster.
1. Log-on to your RIConnect account, locate the Menu item “Self Service”
2. Click on Self Service
3. Click on “Faculty Center”
4. To the right of “Select Term”, pull down the arrow and the choose the desired term
5. The check box under “WebCT Check” indicates the status of the course in WebCT. The absence of a checkmark indicates the course has NOT been added. Click the checkbox next to each course you wish to add to WebCT
6. The “WebCT Save” button will display above the My Teaching Schedule table
7. To add the course(s), click “WebCT Save” once
8. You may sign out of RIConnect at this time. Your course is queued for addition to WebCT.
Your course should be ready for you the next day. If it is not please go back to the WebCT area you requested the course in and check the WebCT Update area to make sure there were no errors with your course information. If you see an error please call the MIS helpdesk at 9873 to report the problem.
IMPORTANT NOTE: IF YOU PLAN TO HAVE TWO OR MORE CLASSES CROSS-LISTED PLEASE EMAIL THE WEBCT ADMINISTRATOR IMMEDIATELY AFTER MAKING THE REQUEST TO MAKE SURE THE CROSS-LISTING TAKES PLACE. CROSS-LISTING CANNOT TAKE PLACE IF STUDENTS HAVE ALREADY DONE WORK IN A COURSE.
How the courses will appear: The courses created will be blank courses. If faculty members would like to use materials from a previous course they can follow instructions below on how to backup, download and restore a course (also available in a downloadable word format on this site). You can also request help with moving material by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gradebook (Manage Students): All students will appear in the Gradebook as they are in RIConnect - this gets updated on a nightly basis. Although the default in the Gradebook is to not show inactive students (those that have dropped out of the course) you will see them if you are using the Assignment or Quiz tool. They are indicated with a ~ at the end of their name (e.g. shijazi_22334~).
Click here to return to the WebCT homepage.