Readmission to the College

students and teacher in a classroom setting
In many cases, undergraduate degree candidates who withdrew from RIC are eligible to re-register without completing a formal application.

Determining Factors

Candidates looking to re-register must meet the following criteria:

  • must be in good academic standing
  • have not taken courses at another institution during their absence
  • do not have any course credit(s) 10 years old or older 

Registration materials will be mailed to students for three consecutive semesters.

Process for Readmission

Application Requirements

Students interested in being readmitted to Rhode Island College should submit:

  1. A completed Common Application and nonrefundable $50 application fee
  2. Official transcripts from all college(s) attended since you have been a student at Rhode Island College, whether you desire or expect transfer credit or not. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will obtain a copy of your Rhode Island College transcript.

Information About the 5-Year Rule

The Academic Forgiveness Policy allows a fresh start for former undergraduate students from Rhode Island College who have had a minimum of 5 consecutive years absence from RIC and wish to return to complete a first bachelor’s degree. Cumulative GPA will be reset to 0.00, calculating only those grades earned following the application of academic forgiveness. RIC courses that are 5 or more years old with grades of "C" or higher will be awarded elective credit or, if appropriate, general education credit. Upper level courses will be reviewed/evaluated by the department chair of the student’s major/program who determines if the course(s) may still be applied to the student’s program or must be repeated (i.e., change in body of knowledge, etc.). Courses 5 or more years old with grades of C-, D-, D, D+, F will not be used/counted for credit towards graduation.

Improving Your GPA for Readmission

Students who need to improve their Rhode Island College GPA in order to be eligible to apply for readmission should plan to retake those courses at RIC as a non-degree student. Repeating the course at another institution will not change a RIC GPA, nor may the course be counted for transfer credit.

Schedule a Transfer Appointment

Students may request a preliminary evaluation through email by sending transcripts and their intended major to You can also make a transfer credit evaluation appointment with one of our transfer admissions counselors, Brian Stevens or Lucas Del Savio