Frequently Asked Questions

Must I have a Meal Plan if I live in a residence hall?

If you live in a Residence Hall you must have a Meal Plan. Residents who do not choose a meal plan will automatically be assigned Meal Plan A.

Can I use my Meal Plan if I do not have my College Identification Card with me?

You must present your valid College ID to use your Meal Plan. The computerized meal plan requires your valid ID card to be swiped through the cash register system.

Can I let another person use my ID at the Dining Center?

No, College IDs can only be used by the person to whom they are issued.

What do I do if my college ID is lost or stolen?

Residents are responsible to immediately report lost or stolen College IDs to the Campus Card Office located in the Student Union. Residents can also make arrangements for a replacement ID through the Campus Card Office. There is a processing fee of $10.00 assessed for replacement cards.

What if I am on a special diet, have food allergies, or I am concerned about my diet?

Students may contact our Registered Dietician, Bethany Tucker. She is available at (401) 456-8477 or at

How does the Meal Plan work?

Residents may choose from four different Meal Plans. Each Meal Plan consists of a guaranteed number of meals per week, and a set amount of Bonus Dollars for use during the semester. For added value we have included a number of Guest Passes for the Semester. Residents may choose which combination of Meals, Guest Passes and Bonus Dollars will best fit their lifestyle. For example, Plan A consists of 19 meals per week, as well as 4 guest passes, and $125.00 in Bonus Dollars.

Where can I use my Meals?

All meals must be used in the Donovan Dining Center. A variety of offerings will be available during the times listed for each meal period.

Where can I use my Bonus Dollars?

You can use your Bonus Dollars at Donovan Dining Center, the Café and The Galley located in East Campus.

How and where can I use my Guest Passes?

Each meal plan has a number of Guest Passes for the Semester. Guest Passes can be used in Donovan Dining Center just as meals are used. Guest passes do not carry over from semester to semester.

If I do not use a meal will it carry over to the next week?

Unused meals do not carry over to the next week. At the beginning of each week your meal balances are reset.

What do I do if I miss a meal because of my schedule?

To reduce the possibility of missed meals and to assist residents with unique schedules, we have designed our meal times around the current class schedule periods. In addition each meal plan includes Bonus Dollars which can be used at the Café or at The Galley.

What do I do if I go over the dollar limit when purchasing a meal or using a Guest Pass?

You may pay the difference using your Bonus Dollars, cash or credit.

How can I purchase additional Bonus Dollars?

Additional Bonus dollars can be purchased at anytime from the Dining Services Office located in DDC Room 209.  For your convenience, Bonus Dollars may be purchased using cash, check, Visa or Master Card.

I am a parent, what can I do if my son/daughter runs out of Bonus Dollars?

Parents can add additional Bonus Dollars to their son's/daughter's account by calling the Dining Services Office at (401) 456-8207. Parents will need to know the student's ID number (found on their College ID), and will need to provide credit or debit card information.

Do unused Bonus Dollars carry over to the next semester?

No, unused Bonus Dollars will not carry over into the next Semester.

How can I find out what is on the menu?

Daily menus are posted on the Dining Center's website under the heading "Donovan Dining Center Menu". Additionally, menus for the week are recorded on our Dial-A-Menu system; it can be accessed by dialing (401) 456-9636. The current meal is also posted on monitors throughout the Dining Center servery and outside the entrance.

Can I change my Meal Plan during the semester?

During the first two weeks of each semester students may change their Meal Plans by visiting the Campus Card office in the Student Union.

I have more questions, who can I contact?

For more information, you can contact the Dining Center by email at or call by phone at (401) 456-8207.

Page last updated: January 21, 2015