The Department of Communication's internship program is designed for upper-level communication majors. It enables students to gain a comprehensive understanding of professional work through on-the-job training. The program can provide an effective transition from academic work to a career in a specific communication field.
Interns will be expected to work a total of 120 hours per semester, regardless of academic requirements, employment or holidays. All breaks and vacations must be coordinated with the cooperating internship agency.
The internship is for one semester but may be repeated for one other term.
- You must be a communication major.
- You must complete at least 75 semester hours by the end of the term in which they are applying.
- You must complete at least six (6) courses in the communication area.
- You must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 in communication with no grade lower than a "C."
- Students send their internship application to the communication internship coordinator. Download the Application Form. You must also submit your most recent college transcript and your résumé. After being accepted into the program, you will be granted an interview with a communication professional in consultation with the intern coordinator, who will decide on your acceptance.
- The filing of your application does not guarantee acceptance by the department for the internship program. In cases where the internship is not required, the department reserves the right to deny approval or postpone the application to a later semester.
- Transfer students should be aware that the department does not guarantee placement in the internship program within the first four semesters at RIC or that students can complete all requirements for graduation within four semesters.